Computer Powers on Briefly then Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently assembled my first computer and went to turn it on. However, it would power on briefly, maybe 1-2 seconds, and then shut off. I tried taking things out leaving only the necessary but I have not managed to get it to POST. The only time that the computer stays on (defined by all the fans spinning and the sound of the harddrive) is when i unplug my cpu power. Does this mean that the CPU is dead? or is it simply overheating and shutting off before problems arise. Any help is very appreciated.

System Specs:
CPU: Q6600 with Stock Heatsink
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Motherboard: EVGA Nvidia 680i - A1
VGA: EVGA 8800GTS 640mb
PSU: 700Watt OCZ
RAM: 2gb DDR2-800 Patriot RAM
Harddrive: 320gb Seagate 7200rpm

yes i have, i placed the jumper over pins 2-3 for a few minutes then put them back in the original place (that's how i interpreted the instructions but my manual on the third step had a ")" and nothing else so i'm not sure if that's 100% correct).

I have read the tutorial and can assure you it is not the PSU. Everything runs fine when the cpu power is not connected (all 4 case fans + cpu fan + VGA fan spin) and i can hear the harddrive booting. Even when the cpu power is connected it turns on and all fans spin for a couple of seconds.

I had a friend's dad look at it and he suggested I resocket the cpu. I did and it the power successfully stayed on with everything in it. However, i went to turn it on a second time and it did the same thing as earlier. Is the circuitry on the motherboard bad?

Thanks for the help thus far.

ok i am in IT and i just did this chapter, the hightest % chance of something wronge is the power supply. you can buy a tester for about $15, check asap before you fry your computer, if all your Vs are ok them try reconecting EVERYTHING, it could be a loose cable (this inclused the wall socket and back of the computer). if the power supply is good after that then i would spec everything and make sure your power supply has enough power to power all the components (some times you need to upgrade). after that checks out idk what to tell you, let me know how it works out for you :)

peace
QUICK

thanks for the help

I did manage for the power to stay on while the cpu was connected, just needed to resocket it and poof it worked.

however, i requested an RMA for the board. On the onboard debug LED's there were a double dash ("--"). I thought this simply meant everything was A-ok since it wasn't a code in the manual. Apparently it is known as the double dash of doom lol and that means that something is wrong somewhere in the circuitry. after reseating the CPU and changing up the ram slots and getting the same results. I did some research and most ppl got the RMA and the replacement worked fine. Hopefully my problem will be fixed :)

i hope it works out for you, if not then the -- might also mean something is not compatible so if you upgraded double check the specs out to make sure it works together, i just dont want you to burn out your motherboard, better safe then sorry :)

I have the same problem: the machine starts and runs for about 3-5 seconds then quits. Brand new power supply, tried another 600 watt power supply same thing happened.

woodenbear,
What make is your computer? eMachines by any chance? How long has this been happening? You know it's not the power supply, so the motherboard comes next

eberok said:
I have read the tutorial and can assure you it is not the PSU. Everything runs fine when the cpu power is not connected (all 4 case fans + cpu fan + VGA fan spin) and i can hear the harddrive booting. Even when the cpu power is connected it turns on and all fans spin for a couple of seconds.

I had a friend's dad look at it and he suggested I resocket the cpu. I did and it the power successfully stayed on with everything in it. However, i went to turn it on a second time and it did the same thing as earlier. Is the circuitry on the motherboard bad?

Thanks for the help thus far.
that is not a guarantee the PSU is good. You have to TEST it with a tool and a a multimeter.

Finally I got it!

I had the same problem. pc would run for 3 seconds then shut off. I just fixed it and found out that the front panel of my case was holding down the power button. As soon as I took off the front panel it released the power button and now pc stays on. You might want to check out and see if your power button is faulty. Before I found this out I swapped PSU's, reseated and changed heat sink compund on the processor, cleaned the motherboard really good to make sure there were no shorts, reseated all connectors, all with no luck. All to find out it was my front power button.

Not to say this will fix all but in my case this was a fix and I hope it helps someone out.

I had the same problem. pc would run for 3 seconds then shut off. I just fixed it and found out that the front panel of my case was holding down the power button. As soon as I took off the front panel it released the power button and now pc stays on. You might want to check out and see if your power button is faulty. Before I found this out I swapped PSU's, reseated and changed heat sink compund on the processor, cleaned the motherboard really good to make sure there were no shorts, reseated all connectors, all with no luck. All to find out it was my front power button.

Not to say this will fix all but in my case this was a fix and I hope it helps someone out.

You have to let us know what brand and model of you case is.:D

Nice post CURIA35,
my Antec mid-tower case had the same problem with it front power button. I had to remove the front of the case and adjust it's position

I would be willing to bet that your CPU is not properly cooling because I had this happen to me.. Make sure the heat sink is making proper contact with the CPU. Tighten it down if is the screw on type.. If it the type that uses tabs make sure they are clamped down all the way.. Also I removed the heat sink compound and made sure there was good contact between the metal of the heat sink and the top of the CPU.

Same Issue?

It seems I am having the same issue. Sorry for snagging the Thread.

ISSUE:
My PC turns on, then off, then on etc.. This is what is happening: Upon hitting the power button the machine will power up for about 3 seconds with no POST then turn off. It will then turn back on then turn off etc. etc. etc.... The system does not POST.

The only way to turn it off is to hold the power switch down.

HISTORY:
I have been through hoops YTD and this had been going on for about 5 months. I have RMA'd three Gigabyte GA-965-DS3 v3.3' motherboards and ended up with a new chipset GA-EP35-DS3R after I used all my components on a Buddy's board and they worked on the newer chipset. After I switched out all my components with my new Mobo the computer worked fine for about a month. Then one day I shut it off and it started to cycle, I quick restarted and it turned on. I left it on for about a week and was able to put the computer in standby and restart it. I wanted to shut it down to see what happens and whoalla my system is back to square one cycling away.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
-Disassembled my entire computer and tested each of my components and they work
-Upgraded my chipset, system worked, then failed
-Ruled out front panel power switch by unhooking power jumper and using a screw driver
-Cleared CMOS
-Moved RAM around in different configurations
-Called Gigabyte support.... Enough said

I really do not want to deal with RMAing my MOBO again, but if I have too I will. Any and all advice is welcome at this point. I have 2 more GB of RAM coming later this week that I will try out that is the same as my current. I think it is either my MOBO, CPU, or RAM, however with the way this is happening it might be a short somewhere. This is unlikely because of the caliber of my case, but anything is possible.

Thanks Guys!

Here are my specs:

Case: Antec P180B
PSU: E6550
VGA: 8800GTS 320
MOBO: GA-EP35-DS3R
RAM: Patriot 1066 DDR2 (1GB X 2)
PSU: Thermaltake 750 Watt
Hard drives: Two WD 80 GB in RAID 0
Optional Drives: 1 DVD ROM; 1 DVD +/- DL

Status
Not open for further replies.