Computer powers up but no signal to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no signal to the monitor, it powers up and there is the initial beeping sound, cd drives, HDD and floppy appear to be functioning,and all lights and fans work fine. It doesnt boot up. I googled to try and solve the problem and have tried a process of elimination, so far I have:

1) Checked video card - I replaced with an old one which definately works and still no activity. I then thought it could be the AGP slot but when I put the original card back i removed the power connections for it and it started beeping, so I presume the slot is ok? Not sure though.

2) Made sure all cables were in correctly - yes

3) Removed CMOS battery and replaced - no difference

4) Memory - removed one stick - no difference, removed other stick - no difference.

4) Checked CPU - seemed to be seated in correctly but removed and replaced anyway, again no difference.

5) Monitor - monitor screen works as it displays 'no signal' when it attempts to boot.

I'm stumped as to what to do next, but I think its maybe the processor, I'm suprised I get no beeps or warnings about it though? WHen the 6800GT's power cable are unattached it bleeps like crazy.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Andy

SYSTEM SPEC: Athlon 3000+ (oc to 3200+), Asus K9N Motherboard, 6800GT graphics card, 1gb ram, 160gb HD, 350w PSU.

i had exact same problem the other day but i had been messing wif cpu overclocking, maybe you have the same problem? maybe bit to much overclocking?

Sorry I wasnt thinking.....You probably cant get to look at the bios since you have no monitor! lol.

Before you shut it down when it was working, did you by any chance change the amount of memory available for video sharing? I did that once and had the same problem. I tried to not use any and when I rebooted, no monitor.I had to take off the jumper and put it back on and the board reset to stock settings. You might try the jumper anyway.

i had the same problem and fixed it today removed the moved the battery are moved the jumper accross 1 pin left for 10 seconds then put them back in their original place booted up straight after this installing windows xp as we speak (i mean type)

You didnt mention removing the jumper and moving it over one space, then putting it back on the correct way. Did you?

just remove the cmos battery, i didnt move any jumpers or anything just the battery and it was fine.

I'm having a similar problem, the computer was in sleep mode and wouldn't come out so I restarted the computer and the monitor says "no signal" and the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. I just went out and bought a new PSU and that didn't fix it, I've removed the CMOS battery and put it back in and also pulled out the jumper and put that back in place. I've removed the video card and re-installed and still nothing. Could it possibly be the mobo? Everything else powers up, the lights in the case, the fans and the drives but no signal. What is my next option?

Thanks

Any updates from either of you? I'm having the same problem - computer powers on (all fans running, LED's lit up), but no signal to monitor, keyboard or mouse. Angering me greatly...

I got the monitor to come up just by restarting computer a few times and I wish I had written down exactly what it said but it was a reference to an IDE Controller 80 or something like that that was not working correctly and I got into the BIOS from that screen and when I exited out it went back to "no signal" and I haven't been able to get that screen to come back up. That's where I'm at so far.

I'm having abslolutely no luck getting this thing going so I think I'm going to change out my motherboard, I have an ABIT NF7-s and would like to upgrade. What is a good combo that I can purchase to upgrade? I want to upgrade Mobo, Processor and most likely memory. I'm running an AGP Video card but would like the option for AGP or PCI-e if that's available in a MOBO. This is my current processor.. AMD® Athlon XP 2500+ QuantiSpeed CPU [512K L2 Cache]. And I have 2 GB Dual Channel [256MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory currently. If there is an upgradeable MOBO and I can re-use some of these parts that would be great but if not I'll just have to bite the bullet. I'm not brand specific, so AMD or Intel is fine and any brand of MOBO that has a good rep is fine.

Thanks,
Pnazz

Update

It was the video card, I swapped it out with an old one and it worked. I guess I should have tried that earlier, but atleast now I have an updated computer.. haha. Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back