Computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhm. Not sure if this is where I should be posting this. Sorry if it isnt

I bought a sata drive for my comp a couple weeks ago. My motherboard does suport it, I made sure of that. But Im having a small though concerning issue since going from my old hard drive to this one. 3 times now my computer apears to freeze. But I dont mean in the usual way. Everything stops. The music, the mouse doesnt work, I cant tab through anything, no ctrl alt delete etc. nothing. The screen stays the same as whatever it was ie is showing the website I was at, or the program I had open etc. But I cant -do- anything. Ive left it to see if anything happens, but no luck. I just have to restart. It doesnt come up with any kind of error either. Im a bit concerned because theres no warning, and it might do this while Im in the middle of working on an image or something.

specs:
Intel pentium 4 2,4G 800Mhz FSB cpu
Asustek P4P800-VM motherboard
Seagate 120 GB Sata hdd
corsair 512Mb PC3200 DDR ram
Albatron 256MB PC3200 DDR Ram

Im not too familier with actual technicalities of computers, am only just begning to understand them. SO Id apreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks in advance.

Try it without the Albatron memory.
More often than not, different brand memory sticks cause unexpected problems.

You could also test your memory with Memtest86 from www.memtest.org
Follow their instructions. Run it in different memory-configurations as well, e.g.
only corsair, only albatron, all of it, try different slots, etc.

realblackstuff said:
Try it without the Albatron memory.
More often than not, different brand memory sticks cause unexpected problems.

You could also test your memory with Memtest86 from www.memtest.org
Follow their instructions. Run it in different memory-configurations as well, e.g.
only corsair, only albatron, all of it, try different slots, etc.

Ahh thank you so much. I did ask wether or not there would be an issue having two different brands and they seemed to suggest no it shouldnt be a problem. BUt I'll give this a go and hopefully its just as simple as that.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back