Computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
i opened my computer case today to clean it up a bit.. cleaning off the dust & all.. but when i rewired everything back together and closed the case... my computer didn't work.

i turned it on.. and everything appears to be running but my monitors (i have a dual-monitor set-uP) both seem to not be able to read the signal coming from the computer because they both display blank screens. so the first thing i thought was that there might of been something up with the video card, so i took it out, dusted it off and remounted it... and plugged it back in but no good.

i tried unplugging as many things as i could to try to isolate the problem and the only things that i left plugged into my motherboard was ram, hard drive, and the video card.. but i really don't knwo what could have caused this from just a little dusting off and rewiring of the computer....

any suggestions on what i should try checking or doing? this is really ticking me off.. -.-

thanks in advance

Does your video card need to be supplied with power? If so is it connected? Are there any fans on the video card that spin or not spin when you turn the power on? Did you use any protection for static shock before touching any of your components?

If the above items are ok, you could try hooking a monitor up to the on board video port and unplug the video card in the expansion port, along with the CPU and RAM. If this works, and you didnt change any settings before the problem started, and the card was properly seated (and supplied with power if needed)... then I would guess maybe you transfered static to your video card and shorted it out.

Shaw23 has a point, and several good suggestions.
But you should thoroughly go through the computer, unplugging and reseating everything. Look particularly closely for cables from the power switch area that have come loose from a pin on the motherboard.
The fact that neither monitor lights up points at the video graphics card as the problem... which could be a coincidental failure as well.
A number of loose connections could cause the problem. Clean thoroughly with a can of difluoroethane gas (canned air such as Dust Off), then examine with a magnifying glass as you go.
An obvious choice is to try another video graphics card... or to try your card in another machine.

When you turn your computer on do you get 1 long beep and two short beeps? If so there is something wrong with your video card or your bios does not recognise it. If you dont get any beeps at all than the problem could be with either your CPU or Motherboard.

Beep codes vary from motherboard brand to brand and model... and some motherboards give no beep at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back