computer problems - error messages galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi everyone!

When i start my computer up (XP, SP2) I awlays enounter at least 10 error messages one after the other, usually saying for example;

taskmgr.exe Aplication failed to initiliaze properly

with a few other lines of numbers etc...
If it helps ill hapily get a screen shot of them, or write exactly what each one says for you - Anything to get my computer back to normal. I dont want to do a system restore because i have alot of stuff on it recently i want to keep.

Please help, my MSN messenger adress is .....@hotmail.com
if you need more info etc....

Thanks, Todd89

Email address removed, you don't fancy SPAM, do you?

Do you get the same results in safe mode? Continuously tap the F8 key as you boot your computer up, then select safe mode (or enter#3).

have you got any up-to-date and active protective software on said computer? what you're experiencing could have easily been caused by a virus or any other type of malicious software.

hi sorry for very late replies..... i havent tried it in safe mode- i will do and update you however i have run various virus scans, adware checkers, etc and have removed everything at all malicious, with no changes to the original post's problems! My Page file usage is still ridiclously high and programs are using thousands more K than usual!

Any help would still be very useful... thanks toddy

you are probably experiencing a corrupted or faulty windows registry. sometimes malicious software does so much that it is nessesary to reformat in order to make windows run properly. fortunate people will be able to clean it up by running a registry scanner/cleaner.

hi agian

i have run various registry cleaners and scanners and the problem still occurs, so it seems that im one of the unlucky ones! i dread the sound of reformatting the registy to be honest - please could you explain what i need to do if i need to take it to a specalist! also, what precisley if reformatting, will i lose alot of my settings or information collected over the couple of years i ve had this! THanks everyone for your help so for - its been much apreciated!

toddy89

if you are in the dark about this, take the box to a local pc repair shop to be reformatted. but, i relize that this isn't an option for many people. all you really have to know how to do is to get the windows cd to boot, which can be set in your bios.

Thanks for help but messages seem to have disapeared now which is great i ran a 4 1/2 hours virus scan last night :S !! but apparrently it is worth it!

Im still having problems with my page file usage which is currently at 745mb and the programs are using up crazy amounts of memory to create this problem.

Is this a bad memory problem and do you think ill be looking at having to shell out cash for this and that to fix it???

Toddy89

I am not sure you are clear as to how Window uses the page file , but if you are just looking at he page file settings they are generally set as a function of how much Ram a system has .745 Mb would indicate you have 256-512 Mb of ram
Are you hearing the HDD make a lot of noise(constant) as you work . This is a sign that your page file is over worked . Either install more Ram(best), or increase the size of the page file(less desirable solution)
BTW is your Windows updated? I have seen that error before and an update fixed it.

how many actual megs of ram do you have currently installed? xp can usually get by on 256 mb, but taking programs and multitasking into consideration, 512mb is considered the minimum amount for good performance. 512mb ddr400 sticks are selling for $50 (USD) bucks apeice, btw.

:S Dxdiag says ive only got 222MB RAM at the moment however im sure i had/have more if that makes sense.... Also ive looked up some things and the max upgradable memory i can have is 2gb if i have 2x1gb ddr400 sticks i think - would this be recomended or would it be TOO much memory if you see where im going. Only because im thinking if i gotta upgrade i may as well make it worth while

Thanks Toddy89

maxing out the memory on a non-ecc board will lead to lower performance and unreliability. look under the 'general' tab of the system properties windows (windows key + pause/break) and see what your ram amount is. you could also look in your computer's bios and possibly the post screen. press escape during post for the latter, if nessecary.

what kind of computer is this (parts + details)?

an you should be fine with 512mb of ram, unless you run demending apps and find 512mb to be insufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back