Computer Randomly Freezes Up With No Good Reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Hi everyone! I have a strange problem.

I have a 98se 192mb ram, and about 450mhz cpu, (would that be a p3?)

So I posted here in the hardware section because I don't think it is Windows.

Basically the computer just freezes up. No warning, it just locks up like the cpu was taken out while it was running (yes, I have done that before). The only way to clear it is to do a hard boot. I thought at first it was over heating, but if I can instantly power off and on again with no problem, then I don't know what it is. I don't think it is Windows, because I have a relatively fresh installation. BUT the computer did NOT have this problem while I had UBUNTU installed. So it might be software related....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Daniel L

Are you gaming when it freezes? Is the computer under any stress at all when it freezes?

In answer to your (p3?) question. Its complicated, :haha: I used to have a old P3 that ran at 350mhz top, but I've worked on a computer that had a 450mhz P2. So you either have to run Cpu-z or look at the proc itself.

OK, I ran a Scan Disk surface scan (Check Disk if for XP NTFS), and ran 2 memory test cycles.

Both tests gave good results.

How it crashes? Well randomly, from web surfing to downloading, text editing to running windows media player, or just letting it sit after a boot-up. It doesn't seem to care what is happening when it crashes.

BTW: The memory test said I have a P3 at ~600 mhz <<better then I thought!

Thanks!

--Daniel L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back