Computer Randomly Freezes While Playing Games

As stated in the title, my computer will randomly freeze during games. This computer is about a month old and my friend built the same exact one, except he does not have this problem. It started with dark souls 3, I would be able to get about 4 hours out before it would freeze up, now it only lasts about 5 minutes and it happens in other games as well. When the computer freezes it requires a hard reset to fix, then works normally after that until I try to play another game. Temperatures are all normal, I have been monitoring them while the computer is under stress and nothing too hot that it would be a problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a faulty GPU, but I wanted to check here before I return anything.
Specs
CPU: Intel core I5-6500
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8gb x2
SSD: Samsung 250 gb
HDD: Seagate 2tb
PSU: EVGA 750w

Last edited:
Test by swapping video cards?

Otherwise consider removing related video software gimmicks, gadgets, etc and doing a clean install of drivers.

Thirdly? Start the RMA process with the hope that they might identify the true issue.

Watch Event Viewer and any crash reports for error codes. Listen for any beep codes. Turn "auto-restart on error" off so you can read any messages.

Back