TechSpot

Computer randomly reboots

By mentalcow
Aug 11, 2007
  1. hello,

well, i am currently working on my bosses computer. I work at a mall. Basically he uses it for scheduling and checking his email. The computer worked fine up until a couple of days ago. The computer was OFF and a storm blew by. The power to the mall went out for about 20 seconds, and when it came back on, half of the mall had a brownout. During this brownout he repeatedly attempted to turn on the computer, however it kept restarting about 5 mins after booting.

the computer still reboots randomly when i try to log in. I booted into safe mode and the computer didnt reboot itself. This confused me into thinking it was a software issue. I even tryed booting from the last know good configuration, and nothing. i tryed running the system restore to restore it to a day prior to the system failure and that didnt work. then i checked the event log and no problems occured until the day of the storm and the next boot of the computer. I recieved and event id of 1003 and an error code of 9c.

so... i researched some of these messages online and saw that error code 9c is a hardware issue, dealing with either of these things: ram, mobo, cpu, psu.
    i replaced the ram with a known good stick, and it still reboots.

im goin nuts here! can you help me?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You are indeed correct, a bugcheck code of 9C is related to faulty hardware.

Since you have already tried a good stick of ram with no improvement, I believe the problem is either psu or mobo related. Hopefully, another psu will sort it.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

always use a ups. I suspect your psu is bad, but it could have also taken out the mobo as well. test it with a multimeter and psu tester.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.