Computer randomly reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

well, i am currently working on my bosses computer. I work at a mall. Basically he uses it for scheduling and checking his email. The computer worked fine up until a couple of days ago. The computer was OFF and a storm blew by. The power to the mall went out for about 20 seconds, and when it came back on, half of the mall had a brownout. During this brownout he repeatedly attempted to turn on the computer, however it kept restarting about 5 mins after booting.

the computer still reboots randomly when i try to log in. I booted into safe mode and the computer didnt reboot itself. This confused me into thinking it was a software issue. I even tryed booting from the last know good configuration, and nothing. i tryed running the system restore to restore it to a day prior to the system failure and that didnt work. then i checked the event log and no problems occured until the day of the storm and the next boot of the computer. I recieved and event id of 1003 and an error code of 9c.

so... i researched some of these messages online and saw that error code 9c is a hardware issue, dealing with either of these things: ram, mobo, cpu, psu.
i replaced the ram with a known good stick, and it still reboots.

im goin nuts here! can you help me?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You are indeed correct, a bugcheck code of 9C is related to faulty hardware.

Since you have already tried a good stick of ram with no improvement, I believe the problem is either psu or mobo related. Hopefully, another psu will sort it.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

always use a ups. I suspect your psu is bad, but it could have also taken out the mobo as well. test it with a multimeter and psu tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back