Computer randomly turns itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to this website so I am not sure whether this is the correct forum to post this thread; but here goes.

I recently tried to install some new RAM into my computer and noticed a problem; basically it wouldn't work at all. So after doing a bit of research I found out that it wasn't the right type for my computer. So I removed it. ]

Everything seemed fine until about 2 days later when my computer turned off randomly, without me shutting it down. I thought it could be the computer overheating so I lifted of the shell and cooled it for a bit. Not the problem, even without the shell on it still turns off. I have changed my PSU cable and still not working.

I have a Fujitsu Scaleo P. Any suggestions?

Have you done antivirus and antispyware scans recently, they can cause your pc to turn off.

reseat your memory and read the sticky about installing memory.

also always ensure you're grounded when messing around with the innards.

I havn't done any antivirus scans or anything to do with my antivirus apart from a 2 weekly scan which hasn't taken place yet.

How do I reset memory exactly?

edit: I didn't mention, after it turns off, it won't turn back on straight away, I usually have to wait about 1 minute; if I try turning it on after a few seconds after it has 'mysteriously' turned off, it works for a few seconds and turns straight back off.

I very much doubt memory has anything to do with your problem, virus and spy ware scanning is something that should be done on a very regular basis, my pc gets scanned for both every night for example.

From your last post, it may well be overheating or a psu fault. Get speedfan from the downloads section of this site and it will measure temperatures and voltages for you.

If it comes up with anything out of the ordinary then post the results and we will see what can be done to help.

I conducted an 'experiment' yesterday, and left my computer on while I was at work. (for 8 hours)

When I came back home, lo and behold, my computer was sitting there, playing my extremely annoying Spongebob screensaver; and all was well.

I thought I had overcome the problem but, no sooner had I loaded up World of Warcraft, 20 minutes later; computer turns off...

Maybe it's something to do with running the World of Warcraft application?
It couldn't be a coincidence as before it has turned off roughly every 30 minutes to an hour.

cpu temprature is maybe too high. or a hardware failsafe problem.

clean out your case with compressed air
check with a program like speedfan, or everest home and go to the sensor section, tell us what you see there (voltages, temps etc), also in bios hardware monitor (when you boot up go into setup on the first screen)

Ok, I may have a problem :p

I downloaded 'Speedfan' and, I have a list now of different temperatures, currently a few of them are between 20-45C, but one (fan 2, or temp2) is 102C!!! It has an icon of a flame next to it.

I'm a bit worried >_>

grakkeh said:
Ok, I may have a problem :p

I downloaded 'Speedfan' and, I have a list now of different temperatures, currently a few of them are between 20-45C, but one (fan 2, or temp2) is 102C!!! It has an icon of a flame next to it.

I'm a bit worried >_>
WHOLLY MOLEY! You need to replace what you are using to cool your CPU ASAP!!! That is definitely the CPU unless there is something else in your computer that can set it to 102C. If it's the CPU your computer is shutting down due to overheating. I'm surprised that your CPU hasn't melt down because of that. Still, it could be a misprint.

LOL,

Well, i've had a suggestion by a friend to hoover my fans out. I've set my desired temperature on that particular fan to 35C, and it's slowly cooling, it's gone down to about 90C.

Think I need to get a new fan?

eazy_duz_em said:
damn right you need a new fan..90C is just too high...it needs to be under 60.
It needs to be under 40 based on what it is experiencing. ANYTHING above 50 is a problem. You need a fan that brings it down to 30-35. That is how you maintain a healthy CPU.

yes i second that to... i also recomend having another app like everest home to compare the temp reads to determine your actual temps. i'm supprised your failsafe shutdown didnt occur earlier (70`C) as per standard mobo setting.. if needed, go for some new heatsinks and arctic silver...

things that create heat: vid cards, hdds, cpu, ambient case temps, psu's, bad airflow....

Hi, I have fixed it:

Here's the problem. My fan was filled up with 2 inches of DUST!!!

Holy crap i've never seen anything like it before, i'll post pics in a new thread that i'll post as a kind of guide to anyone expirienceing the same problem.

EndersGame said:
my computer always stays near teh 20degree mark can having it too cold be bad? and at wat point is it too cold

Thats fine, you can never overcool a pc in my opinion.

your temp readings are out of whack.

If it heated up to over 100c and kept running, then you would have a melted CPU

Also, 20c on a stock cooler just doesn't happen. even high end air coolers don't bring temps down to 20c. Even if that temp was true, no it isn't too cold.

The good thing about those temp readings however... is that you saw an instant change in temps from simply cleaning the heat sink fins. dust accumilation is a common problem and an easy fix.

anywho.. glad you fixed it.. :)

power box atx 400w SPI. fan (LP4/TX3) 8*8*2.5 and im in canada in my basement so it might explain some of it :D its like 15 defress down here

my readings are always between 20-25

this may also be a power supply problem it may have been a coincedence when you installed the RAM to temporarly fix this in windows XP go to contol panel and click performance and maintinece, click system, click advanced on the tabs at the top and the last option click it, and uncheck "automatic restart on system failure" this is only a temporary fix if it is a PS issue, if that is the case it will need to be replaced

The dirty fan issue is very common and your cpu will shut down and save itself from burning up.
I had a customer bring in a pc, it wouldnt start. I looked at the power supply and it was caked. I opened the case and the whole complete heatsink on the cpu was totally full, same with the fan. It wasnt ordinary dust. Ordinary dust is grey. This was white and i knew what it was right away. I called my customer and said, did you drywall your basement. You can guess he said ya, how do you know? His computer told me the whole story. I cleaned it all up and away it went, good as new. One pc totally caked and choked up with drywall dust!
Still, even a very dirty cpu fan and heatsink can cause the same problem.
Same with a cpu fan that is going bad, it runs too slow and causes the cpu to shut down to save itself from burning up.
A tip for noisy fans. Dont just oil them, oil burns up too fast. Instead, go to the auto store and get a small tube of powdered graphite. Take the label off the fan, put some powdered graphite in the hole and then just a tiny bit of oil, then tape the label back on with a tiny bit of duct tape. All will be well with that fan for a long long time as long as you get to it before the bearings are shot! Trust me, i have been repairing fans a long time, works like a charm. Never use just oil. Thats why the noise comes back in a month, the oil dries up or leaks out but graphite powder doesnt! Never! Its too sticky.

Hi, I have a Philips ls2400 hundred and I have the same problem being that when I am watching videos or running multiple tasks my pc randomly shuts off without any warning. I first thought it was my ram and uprgaded it to 2 gb. Then i checked and found that my fan on my graphics card was burntout. I replaced it with nvidia 8400gs 512mb heatsink one not a fan and it worked ok for a week (maybe less). The problem has returned, so I installed Speed fan and these are the temps.

Motherboard: 50
CPU: 49
Hardrive:42
Graphics Card: 60-74max( Highest Ive seen it go)
Is the cooling on the graphics card or could there be some other inherent fault in the pc

I dont know a heck of a lot about temps on graphic cards as im not a gamer, so someone else can answer that. On the other hand, you could probably google the answer to that one. Seems that the cpu is ok, however, taking the heatsink\fan assembly off the cpu and cleaning it thoroughly is always the first place to start when not sure.
If you search here, using the word "graphite" you should find my thread about using graphite for fans, this goes for the cpu fan and often the vid card fan. If you have a fan that is noisy then graphite would likely be the cure. Not only does graphite cure noisy fans but it increases the output of the fan.
Try the cleaning process first and see how that goes. Or perhaps start with the video card. If you can get to the fan easily then try graphite powder and a bit of oil or replace the fan.

those tempts. are all hot at idle if u were gaming while they were recorded then they are fine. more air circulating in the case would help. for max tempt. the Graphics card is fine, and I say that and u did not tell us what card u have.

Graphics Card

I started with a ati x700 and then I upgraded to a Nvidia 8400gs 512mb. The ati had a fan which had stopped working and i replaced it with the 8400gs which has a heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back