Computer reboot after starting Norton Security Suite

Hello, my name is Jay. I had some trouble lately with the Svchost.exe process. It was using excessive amounts of my CPU. I do not exactly know what stopped it from using all of my CPU, but it stopped. As an attempt to fix it, I stopped the proccess for automatic updates from starting when I boot my computer. I haven't used automatic updates in months. Yesterday I was trying to upgrade my Windows Media Play to version 11. It said there was an error and the reason for the error was Advpack.dll. I guess that has something to do with the TEMP folder. I went to my C: drive and created a folder called TEMP. After I did that, I was able to install the new software for Windows Media Player. After I used the automatic updates (It installed 70+ new things) I found out that when the process for my Norton Security Suite starts (ccSvcHst.exe) it makes my computer reboot. Apon booting, My screen flashes black then after about.. 10 seconds I get this message -

"Windows has recovered from a serious error"
Error.JPG
^The above is a picture of the error report^

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. It's been driving me crazy.

Thank you , Jay

The error code in the jpg. is 0x8E and they are almost always caused by hardware but sometimes can be caused by drivers. So...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I have one file in my minidump, I'll attach it to this post.

EDIT:

My computer also reboots when I play a video on youtube. I'm guessing it doesn't know how to handle the program when it's starting?

I've tried System restore, I don't know why but it never worked on this computer.

I have all my drivers backed up.

Whenever I try to install certain programs I get a problem from either Framedyn.dll or Advpack.dll , Mostly advpack.dll though.

Attachments

• Mini112910-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
According to the minidump file your issue is with the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll

Do the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

YES, Youtube worked! I'm going to reinstall my antivirus and I'll let you know how that comes out. I wanted to ask you, What is a minidump, and how could you tell from the minidump that Nvidia display driver was the problem? Thank you so much, I'm in debt to you! :)

When a system Blue Screens it is not Windows malfunctioning, rather it is protecting the system from damage. So it shuts down.

In the process it writes a small file called a Minidump file and it contains a lot of information that I don't know what it means. :D

However, within that file it provides an error code (there are many such codes) and probable cause (there are many, many, many such causes). It is these codes and probable causes that help in diagnosing the issue.

In your case the probable cause was the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll, thus updating the drivers was the most logical step in attmpting to rectify the issue.

To read minidumps you need the Microsoft Tool called Windebugger and a TON of symbol packages that take a long time to install. It is free and you don't need a degree in PC maintenance to read them and learn about them. I started doing it after a member here over four years ago read my dumps due to a faulty Sunbelt Firewall driver that had me pulling my hair out for 4 months because I didn't know what was causing my Blue Screens on my then new build.

* Glad to hear things appear stable. Please keep us updated.

Back