Computer reboots at random

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowstoner

well i resently installed an agp card on my computer ati radeon 9200 128 vid card and now all of a sudden my computer has started to reboot at random no warning no bsod noting it just up reboots, some times it will work for days no problem and other times it runs untill all the programs load and then reboots, it always makes it thro windows startup and will sit at the login screen till u login it only starts acting up after login and all the programs load any help is appreciated oh and it hates my virus scanner of any sort trying to scan the system so i think it might be a virus, running an online scan now my system spes are ... well i know its a piece of sh!t but its all i have for now. intel celeron 466 785 of pc 133 ram 128 ati radeon 9200 agp 2x 120 gig drive 6 gig and a 37gig sblive xgamer sound card 400 watt ps any help is greatly welcome :) and my old vid card is a hehe vodoo 3 2000 16 meg

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

As for your suspected virii malware problem take a look HERE and follow the instructions carefully. I would recommend that you print them out if possible.

Once you have done that then look HERE and follow the instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

As to your rebooting issue if you are running either Windows xp or 2000 then right click on my computer and select properties then the advanced tab then under startup and recovery click settings and uncheck the box that says automatically restart click apply ok and reboot your computer.

Now instead of your system rebooting when there`s a problem you should receive an error message telling you what caused the problem.

Pay particular attention to any drivers identified in the stop message.

If you don`t understand the stop message then post the details here and someone will take a look at it for you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Random reboots can be a lot of stuff that was already said... But also HEAT and a bad powersupply as well as ram will do this...

for the heat issue here a old trick open the side of the case take a small floor fan let it blow inside there see if that helps..Remember heat is NOT GOOD.. If this solves your problem I suggest getting better cooling.

Now comes the powersupply this will also cause this problem .Does this happen when you play games, run applications and lets say basically under full load ?? To make this easy you could have a 500w powersupply but if this is not least 70-75% efficent it is not doing its job ... THats why most people suggest a good one like RAIDMAX, THermotake, Antec and a few others these are at least 70%

THEre could be bad or failing RAM here in the works too. Run a test with memory86
http://www.memtest86.com/

with each stick of ram in each slot..

let us know how you make out ..

I've noticed also with some Radeon cards that if they load the "Capture driver" it can cause havoc if you don't actually have capture capability on the card.

If this problem ONLY happened after loading the new card, I would think it could also be a driver problem. I would boot into Safe mode and wipe out every trace of the old driver and make sure there are no duplicate video drivers loaded. Then I would try to get the latest driver from ATI. When you download the driver, do the "slow" connection so you can download the files one at a time. Download the main driver and the control panel but NOT the capture driver portion. Then install those.

good luck

well i got the seprat files of the driver and control panel, and i removed all the old **** and used the new driver and it worked fine installing the only weird thing is it installed 2 cards one primary and a secondary that i dont have right now this is the first run to see if it helped thanks for the help all i hope it work i'll post again with more test results btw i ruled out memory with memtester86 it didnt find any problems i used microtrend online scanner to get the viruses off going to try to use my local virus scanner now and see if its working but so far so good :)

ok well it rebooted but this time i got the eroor message down here it it
0xef07f823,0xa0001f73,0x00000000 page fault in nonpaged area address a0001f73 base at a0000000, datestamp 41cc5092 win32k.sys

Well a quick check online shows that win32k.sys errors might be fixed with updates. Maybe not in your case but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Scan for virus at http://housecall.trendmicr.com and also check for spyware and remove that. Use ad-aware and spybot search and destroy.
Once you know you're clean. Do all your windows updates.

If a service pack is available, get it, but I suggest backing up your data first.

This error can still be a RAM issue. Do you have more than one stick of RAM? Try having just one stick in at a time. Even though memtest86 says the sticks are OK, it doesn't mean the two sticks work TOGETHER. Memtest86 can't really detect that type of thing.

Other than that, look up your error message and code and win32k.sys on google for a while. It might give you some ideas.

keep kickin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back