Computer reboots & changes date

Mieto

Hello.

Lately I've been having this annoying problem where my computer reboots itself after being idle for about an hour.

It reboots all the way up to that black display where you can go to bios and gets stuck there. The only way to get through this is to actually go to the bios and exit it. After that the computer again reboots itself and this time goes to account selection screen.

Another problem that has happened related to this is that the computer changes both date and time randomly every time this happens. It is completely random date and time, not the same.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate fyi, and the problem has occurred for about 5 times ever since I started using ps3 together with my computer on my Benq G2420HDBL screen, where ps3 is connected via HDMI + DVI adapter and computer via D-sub, so I was wondering if this has anything to do with it?

Anyways, thanks in advance for help!

ps. first post :3

Hi Mietro, I need to see your minidumps to do an analysis. To eliminate the PS3 connection as the cause please disconnect it from the system to see if the problem persists.

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in windows explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored under a file called minidump.The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop (if there are less than five just zip up what you have).

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

Hi Mark,

When I navigate to Windows folder, I can find a folder called Minidumps, but when I open it it's empty :S

I have checked the box to show hidden files and folders but still empty..

As the mindump file is empty your system is not set to save memory dumps. Follow this guide to set it up correctly. Let it have a few more BSOD's then attach the logs to your next post.

I forgot to mention earlier the problem with your system clock is very often a sign that the CMOS battery is going flat, it should be replaced with a fresh one. When you replace it you should boot into the Bios and select "Set Optimum Defaults".

Click on Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings (left pane) > Advanced tab > Settings button for Startup and Recovery. In the System Failure box make these settings.

Check > Write an event to the system log.

Check > Automatically restart.

Select > 'Small Memory Dump' in the Write debugging information box.

Small Dump Directory should read %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

Check at the bottom of the box that "Overwrite any existing file" is not checked. If it is you will have to go back to the "Write debugging indformation" box, change "Small memory dump" to "Complete memory dump" then you can uncheck the "Overwrite any existing file" box. Then go back and reset "complete memory dump" back to "Small memory dump". Heaven knows why microsoft designed it that way.

Hit OK, OK again and close the System box.

Yeah a friend of mine told me about that battery thing, which might cause the problem..

Anyways, I have now disconnected ps3 from my monitor and will leave the computer idle for a few hours to check if the problem persists

EDIT. Yup, the problem is still there.. unchanged :/

Back