Computer regurlarly crashing, need help pls!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

You'll have to excuse me if Ive posted this in the wrong part of the forum, Im new here, and didnt have a clue where to post. (To the moderator.... if i have posted in the wrong part, pls can you move my post to the correct column,thanks)

Ok, now onto my problem........ as you prob already know by the heading, my computer keeps crashing quite often, sometimes it may stay on for a while and then go off, and I'll have to turn the computer back on, and sometimes it will switch back off, as soon as Ive restarted it.

Can anyone help me find out what the problem may be?? Pls bear in mind Im not too clued up on all the different computer terminology, so I will need some guidance.
I'd be very grateful for anyones help, Thankyou.

Check your hibernation settings and your cable plugged into your video card.

Also check to see if you system is running hot.

download speedfan and check out your temps. Tell me what your temp says.

You should clean out your case if there is dust or dirt inside, these will cause your system to do this, if its bad enough

Hi, Thanks for your response,

Ok.... I'll try and give what info I can, basically the computer was put together by a friend of the family about 4 yrs ago, I had some problems with the computer about a year and a half ago,cant exactly remember what now, but a few things had to be replaced including the fan.

Ive got windows xp installed on my pc......pls tell me what else you need to know.

Hi smore9648,

Thanks for your reply.... As I mentioned before, Im realy not that clued up with alot of computer terminology, or am I very technical with computers.. So I dont know how to check my hibernation settings, or the cable connected to my video card, sorry!

regarding my system running hot, it feels ok.

I downloaded speedfan, it says ....Found ACPI temperature (74.5C), in the box further down it says: Temp 1:35c/Temp 2:70c/HDO:37c/Temp 1:75c, these numbers keep slightly changing, am I supposed to leave it run for a certain amount of time, before getting fixed results?

That is too hot.

You need to be somewhere in the 40c range.

The best range is 90-110F

167f which you are running is pushing towards the limit.

Cool it down

Well, opened up the computer, and found there was quite lot of dust, got rid of as much as I could.

The temp now reads - Found ACPI temperature (42.0C)
Temp 1 35c/temp 2 46c/temp 2 42c, and theres no longer the little fire icon next to them!! Also the computer sounds alot quieter now. Guess I need to dust it out bit more often!!

I will see tomorrow if this has solved my problem, thanks to both of you for your help, I appreciate it.

Those temps sound a lot better, but you really need to get rid of all the dust to get the temps as low as possible!!

As an example, my pc gets a good dust out atleast 3 times a year!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back