Computer Resets upon launching any game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

I hope that you can help with an error that has been causing me no end of frustration. I recently purchased all the components for a new machine from a retailer here in the UK and have been plagued by this problem since I assembled it.

Windows XP Pro will install correctly, albeit with 7F non-critical error upon the first time that Windows loads (sorted out by installing the proper drivers).

However, whenever I attempt to launch a game the screen will reset (as if launching the game) and then the PC will reset itself.

My retailer has had the core components back and insists that they are all working fine. I myself have run Prime95, Memtest86 and 3DMark to try to find out a source of the problem and everything has run correctly. The machine boots like the wind and I am not experiencing anything like data corruption.

No BSOD is appearing (despite me turning off the automatic reboot) and I no obvious errors are appearing in the error logs.

The machine is currently with a completely different retailer for testing and analysis as I was highly unsatisfied with the supposed tests done the first time, but they are having as much joy as myself for finding out what the problem is.

I myself attempted running things with the latest drivers and the stock drivers delivered on CD with the components. No joy there.

Could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If by the time you get your computer back, you still have the same problem.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

This is just a guess at this stage, but I suspect a ram problem.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Many thanks for the speedy response Howard!

Point by point:
System is in no way overclocked. Stock motherboard settings are used.
RAM is listed as compatible with teh motherboard
Memtest86 passes everything 100%, 20+ passes
Page files has already been destroyed and created.

I shall of course attach Minidumps upon the return of the computer in the next few days.

Problem identified thankfully...

Strangely, it turns out that the issue lay with the CPU itself. It would pass the benchmarking software fine (e.g. Prime95) but crash on games.

However, swapping in a substitute CPU resolved the problem completely. Now have to yell at my retailer.

Howard, many thanks for your attempt to assist me. You do a sterling job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back