Computer restarting despite new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Pentium3 1Ghz with brand new Intel motherboard, 256Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce MX 4000 video card (3 months old), 20Gb WD hardrive (3 years old), 80Gb Seagate drive (2 months old).

The computer restarts for no particular reason if I'm using Win2000, Linux installed and Linux as a Live CD. So I guess software problems are ruled out. Checked out the CPU temperature - only 38 C just after a restart. Ran tests on my RAM and old hard drive and there were no errors reported. Switched my video card and drivers, but the problem remained. Every time it restarts in Windows it says it needs to check the hard drive for consistency. I let this happen but nothing is found.

Took it to a computer repair shop who diagnosed it as a motherboard problem. Bought a new motherboard and had the shop put it in - still no solution! What more CAN go wromg? Should I get a new power supply just to cover that angle too?

Exasperatedly ...

Alinuxp

I assuming here but I wonder if they installed the motherboard drivers. Since they did not bother to check the power supply which they should of checked first insted of selling you a new board...Power supply would of been a lot cheaper.

Did you reinstall both Windows and Linux?
Both still have the drivers from the old mobo, and won't work with that new mobo without re-install!

Problem solved - one bad memory stick

I took the advice of a colleague and removed the memory sticks one by one. Found the restarting problem disappeared if the 128 MB stick wasn't there. I had tried the Mem 86 Test and it had said there was no error - so I dismissed the memory as a problem. But now I remember that the Mem Test itself reset!! I had presumed that this would have shown an error if it was a memory problem.

Problem solved!! Phew ... :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back