TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer restarting thinks its win32 bug

By vahalla7
May 30, 2008
  1. My computer keeps restarting itself, sometimes and moreso when using IE but also at other random times. I have tried to run SSD and Adaware- when I run SSD my computer restarts during it every time- the same with superspyware. No rootkit problems. I have attached the combofix and hijack logs...please help!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually I'd stop all those startups, (including Kodac) via Startup Control Panel or through Add/Remove programs in Control Panel (and remove them)

It's probably running out of memory, or there may be an issue with your Ram, you can try Memtest (for 7 Passes) to test your Ram.

You also should clean out all temp files with CCleaner, and possibly run CheckDisk on it.

To run CHKDSK

Open My Computer
    Right Click on C drive
    Select Properties
    Select Tools tab
    Select Check Now button
    Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
    Start YES OK
    Restart your computer
    Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

3. vahalla7

vahalla7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I would be shocked if it were memory as I store all of my files (documents, songs, pics, etc) on an external harddrive.

It really appears that when scanning for viruses when it reaches a certain spot or file that it restarts at that point...

Also, the computer can be running for some time before it shuts itself down

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

No not Hard Drive memory (where your pics and other data is)

Your RAM (memory)
    512Meg? 1Gig? 2Gig? (because that's about all they are normally)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.