TechSpot

Computer restarting thinks its win32 bug

By vahalla7
May 30, 2008
  1. My computer keeps restarting itself, sometimes and moreso when using IE but also at other random times. I have tried to run SSD and Adaware- when I run SSD my computer restarts during it every time- the same with superspyware. No rootkit problems. I have attached the combofix and hijack logs...please help!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually I'd stop all those startups, (including Kodac) via Startup Control Panel or through Add/Remove programs in Control Panel (and remove them)

It's probably running out of memory, or there may be an issue with your Ram, you can try Memtest (for 7 Passes) to test your Ram.

You also should clean out all temp files with CCleaner, and possibly run CheckDisk on it.

To run CHKDSK

Open My Computer
    Right Click on C drive
    Select Properties
    Select Tools tab
    Select Check Now button
    Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
    Start YES OK
    Restart your computer
    Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

3. vahalla7

vahalla7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I would be shocked if it were memory as I store all of my files (documents, songs, pics, etc) on an external harddrive.

It really appears that when scanning for viruses when it reaches a certain spot or file that it restarts at that point...

Also, the computer can be running for some time before it shuts itself down

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

No not Hard Drive memory (where your pics and other data is)

Your RAM (memory)
    512Meg? 1Gig? 2Gig? (because that's about all they are normally)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.