Computer Restarting When Starting Up a Game???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased Star Wars Empire at War. I downloaded the game and everything went well. Until I actually tried to play the game. When i tried to start it the screen went black like it was switching to full screen, and then all of a sudden my computer restarted. I was needless to say very displeased with this inconvenience. So I ran a systems check to see if my computer had the correct requirements to run the game. So I started to do some research online. I learned that I need and entirely compatible DirectX 9.0 graphics card. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics card and am unaware it this is sufficient. I have 512 MB of ram and it says it only needs 256 MB. And I have a AMD Athlon Processor that runs at a speed of 2.26 GHZ, and according to the system requirements that should work. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

I checked and it seems your graphics card does not support DirectX 9, just 8.1. So it doesn't appear to meet the minimum requirements for the game.

worst gamers nightmare to see your own Pc restart it self.

Anyone know what else could be the cause of it beside low system spec?

A geforce 4mx is not enough to play the game, I've tried it before it didn't work.
However i was using the PCI version.

Well my fathers computer has a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 graphics card on his computer, and it worked fine. When i went back and checked my computer to double check the graphics card it said NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU. I don't know what this means but I'm guessing something is different. I tried downloading DirectX 9 off the internet and it seemed to download and install fine, and when i checked using the Empire at Wars start up screen to see if I met the system requirements it said that i had DirectX 9. Can i have DirectX 9 downloaded and installed on my computer without actually having a graphics card that works with it? I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that says my graphics card doesn't support DirectX 9, but i also haven't found anything that says it does. And with my father owning a graphics card very similar to my own i'm starting to wonder if it actually is my graphics card. So I guess my two real questions are:

1. Can I have DirectX 9 downloaded and installed on my computer without a graphics card that works with it? because i figured if my graphics card didn't work with it then i couldn't install it to begin with.

2.Is the graphics card my dad has any different to the one I have?

1. Can I have DirectX 9 downloaded and installed on my computer without a graphics card that works with it? because i figured if my graphics card didn't work with it then i couldn't install it to begin with.

Yes you can, but i think DX9 will just enable those features that your card supports only (guessing)

2.Is the graphics card my dad has any different to the one I have?

Yes. Do note that there is a BIG difference between Integrated GPU's and an actual Graphics card, even if its the same series (same goes with PCI, AGP and PCI-E cards, but thats another topic.)

Think of it this way.
You have two Skylines, ones a GT-R, the other GT-R + Turbo. You put in both good quality 98% octane fuel in them and let them rip. Now, which one do you think is going to kick ***?

Integrated GPU: GT-R
Graphics card: GT-R + Turbo...
Direct x9: 98% octane

Of course, it also depends largely on the hardware itself, as some integrated stuff can handle quite a bit of pressure..

Well i solved my problem. Seems that all I needed to do was download and install the proper drivers from Nvidia.com (which i could have sworn i had already done) and now everything works perfectly. Thanks for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back