Computer restarts by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is going to be a lengthy post as i will try and be as informative as possible.
system
windows xp service pack3
motherboard asus m2a-vm
cpu amd 500+
ram 2gb patriot
hd 160gb eide

ok my problem is my computer restarts by its self. it happens when i boot up in the morning or when i shut it down. it will also happen when i load up my sim racing game. i have attempted several things

1.disconnected case usb's from motherboard. now reconnected
2.disconnected restart wire from motherboard now reconnected
3 switched ram to different slots switched back
4.installed new dvd player
5.tested resistence on power supply wires. all good
6.removed all usb devices. still restarted
7.remove modem to disable internet. still restarted
8.ran glarys utilities,avg,ccleaner,adware, no virus,etc.
9. switch power cord still restarted
10 check log file in windows no information logged
11.updated motherboard and video card
ok i think that covers all i have done now to describe the problem. oh and the computer is clean and stays cool so not a heat or dirt issue.

this usually happens when i am booting up my computer. i don't always get the same message. and after restarting several times it will run for long periods of time. sometimes it will just restart as if i manually restarted. sometimes it will give me a usb over charge message, sometimes it will say i may be overclocked(i have not overclocked) sometimes it will go to start windows normally or safe mode. i have tried safe mode still restarted. sometimes the computer fans will be on but monitor is black and no activity on the hard drive light on the front of the computer. i am at my wits end and any help is greatly appreciated.

Within 10 min. of this post, computer restarted twice. Both times no activity on the hard drive light on front of computer, black screen, had to manually power down and start. Start windows normally screen came up, computer booted to desktop and immediately restarted and repeated process.

Did you test the RAM with memtest? Second, is that Patriot memory recommended by Asus for your motherboard?

Hey jeffricker

Very weird problem indeed. My first guess would be that your power supply is failing. The start windows normally or in safe mode option is just what windows does sometimes after a restart due to power failure or computer being turned off without using "shut down".

The bit I'm fuzzy about is the "no activity on the hard drive light on the front of computer, black screen ..... on the front of the computer". This could still very well be a power supply issue or a motherboard issue. Either way I do think that your problem is hardware related. I might be wrong but that's where I would start to look. Hopefully some of the experts on here can help you out a little more.

Spyder_1386 :)

i though of power supply too but i went to a website and followed instructions on trouble shooting power supply and checking for resistance and everything was fine. it funny after you restart several times it runs forever. about the ram no i haven't used memtest i will do that tomorrow. no patriot is not on the list of recommended ram. but if that were the problem wouldn't it not run at all or have different effects. it is the right type of ram just not recommended brand.

Well the reason I asked about the RAM is because Asus motherboards are quite well known for being picky about the memory used on their motherboards. From what I have seen on their website every mobo has a list of recommended memory.

yeah Route you maybe right. but i would think if it was a ram problem it would be constant problem. i sure hate to spend the money on more ram when i am going to have a new computer built and possibly will not use same ram. i guess i may have to just deal with it and when i have two computers let my kids use this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back