Computer restarts, no minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirtbrethren

Hello, I'm having a strange problem. When I go to Mint.com and it starts drawing a pie chart, just as the chart is about done, the computer reboots.

I have System Failure set to Write an even to system log checked, and Automatically restart unchecked. Sometimes I will get a BSOD for a fraction of a second, but it restarts anyway.

Also, in my Windows/Minidump directory, there is nothing there. Any suggestions?

I am running WinXP SP2

can be harware failure too, like video card or power supply (which may not supply a minidump)

You can also check Event Viewer too, for the last events before restart.

Most minidumps, point to: updating manufactures drivers, and possible running Memtest on your Ram

But I'd also recommend running CCleaner and possibly even defragging your HardDrive

Yes, finding the corresponding Error in the event Viewer can give us more information. If you need help:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

The Error will have three pieces of information: Source, Event ID# and Description. Using this, we can hopefully find the problem. Note: if you have multiples of the same Error with identical info, it is only necessary to copy one of them here.

Bobbye

Wow, you guys are fast and informative! The error showing up in EV is from ati2mtag, which is my ATI video card.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Date: 4/18/2008
Time: 7:38:52 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TSUNAMI
Description:
CRT invalid display type
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....°.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I think I've fixed it. I had unplugged on of my monitors yesterday to test another motherboard out. I plugged the monitor back in while my system was running and the dual monitor settings were a little messed up. So it kept rebooting on the pie chart from Mint.com. I had never properly shut down the system. I shut it down properly this morning, rebooted, and it is no longer crashing on the pie chart. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you!

I spoke too soon. It just did it again.

Well, I am replacing the ATI card anyway, I had already ordered a new card, and I'm just waiting for some free time to do the swap. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Bobbye said:
From EventID.net QUOTE]As per ATI: "When a digital panel connected to the graphics card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display type, the source is ati2mtag. This occurs with Catalyst 7.7 and higher. This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install Catalyst 7.6". See the link to "AMD Knowledge Base Topic 737-29385" for more information.
[/QUOTE]

Edited for quote.

So are you saying the event you gave is invalid? You have to look for the Error- that's why we use the Event Viewer which contains logs of everything that happens!
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062

If another problem has occurred and you fixed the original one, then go find the Error in the Event viewer.

Alright, some things have occurred since I was last here.

The same ati2mtag error came up when trying to burn a DVD with Nero 8. So I replaced the video card with an EVGA 8800GTX. Now the Mint.com website works with no error as before, but burning a DVD with Nero 8 BSOD's with the following error in Event Viewer:

Event Source: sptd
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 5/3/2008
Time: 9:32:50 AM
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: b8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ¸.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I renamed the sole sptd.sys file to sptd.old, but then I get another BSOD when burning. So I guess it's an essential driver.

Any suggestions? I can't burn DVD's with Nero 8.

I renamed the sole sptd.sys file to sptd.old,

Why did you do that? Did you know what the file was for? It from the Daemon Tools! You can't just go rename a file to try and get rid of the problem! There is more information here for this file"
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/archive/can-uninstall-sptd-layer-t7207.html

Event ID #4, Source: sptd, Description: Driver detected an internal error.......

From a newsgroup: This event was related to Daemon Tools and a security update from Microsoft. Apparently, uninstalling this update will solve the problem.:

Microsoft Security Advisory: Update to improve kernel patch protection:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;914784

Just go to add/remove programs, check the box at the top that says show updates, find the KB914784 update and remove it.
From EventID.net

Thanks again for your help.

I did that because I had uninstalled Daemon Tools.

I looked through the updates three times, there is no KB914784 update listed in Add/Remove Programs. I have the Show Updates box checked.

I reinstalled Daemon Tools lite, which says it has a new and improved SPTD, but I'm still getting a BSOD when trying to burn. It flashes very quickly and says something like Machine Check Exception? The only thing I can find in Event Viewer around the crash time that seems to refer to the crash is this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 5/3/2008
Time: 10:54:46 AM
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf14eec5, 0xb15d67cc, 0x00000000). A full dump was not saved.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I found the problem. Bad memory. Ran memtest86 until I found a good stick of memory, and I'm just using that stick. No more restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back