TechSpot

computer restarts randomly after installing additional RAM.

By srai
Sep 7, 2007
  1. my computer restarts randomly these days. i have been compelled to remove the newly added RAM to run my computer. i had 128MB DDR RAM previously, after sometime i added similar RAM module in the next slot. computer starts normally at first. but it goes off or restarts somewhere in the middle. system runs very slowly with only 128MB memory. i've got a massive project to complete in a weeks time. can anyone please help me. i am new to this forum.....i found it quite interesting. please please help me with this.

i have tried with 4/5 pieces of RAM modules. it's the same story everytime.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

You may have a bad RAM slot - use 1 slot only and try a 512 of the same type in there..
    this presumes there are no other problems with the PC such as overheating?

3. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

I agree with AlbertLionheart. Just because it's new RAM doesn't mean that it's not bad. Try one stick at a time. If one works, take it out and install the other. If it's bad, take it back for an exchange.

4. srai

srai TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

thank you. i'll go for that. 256/512 MB RAM in a single slot.
    could u please tell me how slots get damaged. Both slots were ok in the past. Don't know what the hell happened to the second one.

5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Are you absolutely sure you have the right type of ram?

If not check your system out at www.crucial.com, their website can tell you exactly what ram you have and what will be compatible with it.

6. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

The usual problem with RAM slots seems to be that they are usually in line with the vents in the CPU heatsink and all the sh*te gets blown all over the RAM and the slots.

7. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,122

u could have the wrong ram

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.