Computer Restarts Randomly

By Stejohno241091
Jul 9, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there, my computer restarts randomly and has done for around 3 years. I have took it to numerous people to see if they can fix the problem and have spent over £200 in doing so, but not one of them has been able to.

I have all the lasest software / drivers and i have 3 fans in my pc, it does'nt even get warm.

Microsoft Windows XP
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

AMD Athlon(tm) XP2500+
    1.83GHz
    768 RAM

When my computer restarts i get a blue screen with and error code, i have written down two of them

Error 1:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (OxC0000005, 0xF7902A74, 0xF7902770)

***Portcls.sys - Address F6E0746D, Base at F6E07000, Datastamp 41107F13

Error 2:

***STOP: 0x0000007E ( 0xC0000005, OxF6DA346D, OxF78FEA74, OxF78FE770)

***Portcls.sys - Address F6DA346D, Base at F6DA3000, Datastamp 48025CCC

---------------

My computer will restart randomly, it could happen when i just start it up or 30 mins later.

I have scanned my computer with Norton Anti Virus 2008, AVG Antivirus, AD Aware and Spybot and none of these find anything.

Please help i have ran out of options, thank you.
  2. Ruthe

Ruthe TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

Welcome Stejohno. For $70 US I can diagnose ... :)

That error could be from several things. First and formost is virus or malware. You say you've checked - I believe you.

Second is from any software access violation in memory. This includes good and bad software.

More than likely it's sound system.

Try
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921401/en-us
    if it's MIDI, a hotfix will take care of it.

but from the data you've supplied it's a little hard to troubleshoot. But the Yanks will come to your rescue. :)

Portcls.sys has been replaced by a hotfix by M$.
  3. blake914

blake914 Newcomer, in training

Hi, I had the same problem after installing an upgrade of 512mb RAM. I thought the new RAM was the problem so I requested a refund from the guy I bought it off (he let me keep the 'broken one'). I tried the new one but with the same problem. After about 10 minutes I would get a blue screen and I would have to restart my computer. I tried lots of things including buying a new power supply but nothing worked. I eventually tried using the two new RAM sticks and my computer worked fine. So maybe you could try swap some of the RAM around or take some out. Some of your RAM slots may not be working.
  4. Stejohno241091

Stejohno241091 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Took a stick of RAM out and it works fine, guess one stick of RAM was corrupt.

Thank you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.