Computer Restarts Regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trintar VIII

Hi, my computer is restarting without any warning or error (no BSOD) and I'm not quite sure what is causing it. I'm also not sure what else you all need to know to diagnose it, so just tell me what you need and I'll stick it up. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, just when I've been doing regular stuff...surfing the web, chatting, listening to music. I haven't tried it with games at all. If it is the RAM, is this the sort of thing that I have to replace the RAM? Or is it a simple reseating procedure?

It depends if you have matching numbers or not. If you have matching numbers just switch the sticks around (and be sure they are in the right order) or try booting the system up with one stick in and then try the other. If they are differnet sticks then try leaving the larger one in, and that should work.

My buddy had this issue a few years ago when he desparately needed some memory space for video editing and added a 256 to a 512+512 and got crashes pretty much every 2 out of 3 boots. I told him to just upgrade and get a 1024+1024 set up and hes never had a problem since.

So in short dont mix RAM.

Like Metallix said, make sure the numbers match. Check the latency, brand, frequency, and memory capcity and make sure its all identical. Or just try taking out your DIMMs one at a time and see if the problem is fixed.

If the RAM is bad, you'll need to replace it. If the slot is bad, you'll just need to move the sticks to a new slot. Just switch stuff around, its time consuming and boring, but you'll figure out the problem eventually.

to help check if its ram, use memtest to find out.. (see sig)

goto c:\windows\minidump and see if you have any recent ones. Post them here.

Yeah, I have two different sticks of RAM...does this mean I have to remove one? Also, here are my minidumps...

Yeah youll have to remove one to not have problems, leave your better stick in and your problem should be solved.

You've got a rootkit infection, possibly two. PREVX. AGONY INFO.

BugCheck 50, {8c01c768, 0, 804ed80d, 0}
Probably caused by : System32:lzx32.sys ( lzx32+35e9 )

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, f77d0309, b7c0bc80, 0}
Probably caused by : agony.sys ( agony+1309 )

peterdiva is absolutley correct, you do have a rootkit infection.

I have therefore moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Download
http://www.uploads.ejvindh.net/rustbfix.exe
...and save it to your desktop.

Double click on rustbfix.exe to run the tool. If a Rustock.b-infection is found, you will shortly hereafter be asked to reboot the computer. The reboot will probably take quite a while, and perhaps 2 reboots will be needed. But this will happen automatically.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "Y" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Then, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, Combofix and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Trintar VIII only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back