TechSpot

computer restarts when connected to net

By clothespinguy
Oct 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. when my computer is connected to the cable modem it frequently restarts. I get a little message that says:

"This system is shutting down. The System process system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly. Status code 204" and it gives me a 60 second countdown, then restarts. I know I can delay it with the shutdown -a command but even when I do that it just locks up in 60 seconds and personally I'd rather it just restarts.

I just noticed recently that I do not have this problem when the cord is disconnected from my computer. Also, my error logs always show an error that says TCP/IP connection attempts have reached their limit. I think something on my computer, like Sasser, is opening a port and trying to do something but all virus/adware/spyware scans come up clean. My firewall was broke for awhile and now I'm unable to install any windows updates (my computer shuts off when I try).

PLEASE HELP!! ANY IDEAS?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.