Computer restarts while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BnX

This is the worst thing ive ever experienced. When I went to a lan called Respawn i installed some new drivers for my gfx card. My gfx card is old so the drivers i installed wern't actually for my graphics card. It was by accident.
Ive reformatted my computer 2 times now both of the times this error still occurs. When im playing a game my PC just suddenly resets.. I get this error message when i get back on windows...

"Windows has recovered from a serious error"
I click on send error report it then furtherly takes me to a page that describes it.
Here is the image
untitledux5.png

This occurs everytime i play a game. i was excited today thinking it only happens to me when i play counterstrike source so i went out and bought a new gamecard for world of warcraft now.. it restarts when i play.. anyone please help :(!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'reformatting' but what you should have done is rolled back the driver via the device manager

what i meant by reformatting is, I went into this thingo, typed in administrator password, typed format c: /ntfs or something i forgot now. And it reformatted. I then installed XP again.

If you installed XP, you currently have no drivers and will need to install them. What is your GFX card?

Sorry for double post,
bUT I know the whole jist of " Hey everyone, go out and buy top of the range graphics cards so ur computer can be l33t" to be honest, i really dont have the money at the moment. This is all i've got and before this LAN i went to it never used to do this. kk

Is the device manger showing a yellow "?" next to any of your devices? Also, I'm assuming you used ATI's catalyst driver?

Nope there isnt a "?" next to anything in the device manager. And yes sir im using the catalyst driver

You need an expert!! - Someone will arrive soon, but in the meantime I can only suggest that you check you've installed the latest drivers for all your hardware (chipset etc..)

my pc has been doing he same lately (the last few weeks at least).

all my drivers are up2date and are supported by the driver.

although it doesn't restart playing games, it's usually after i close a game or video window..

MS OCA is useless as usual. i've learnt to live with it, but yeah it's very annoying.

i'm also beginning to think this could be something to do with Microsofts crappy Genuine Advantage updated not being installed. (have yet to test that theory tho)

Hmm, This is just retarded. I called XP they said i have a non-genuine key even though a bought it from a computer shop! Yeah, great service "Ace one computers" is. *******s anyway If anyone has a genuine key please ring microsoft and ask them. The customer service guy refused to give me any information on the problem

Hi BNX,
On the Windows Key, Windows XP only allows for activation a certain number of times. Past that, you have to call a DIFFERENT number then plead for a re-activation. If your COA (Certificate of Authenticity) that came with your XP is on a holographic sticker, you'll need to provide the info from that sticker (but NOT THE PRODUCT KEY.. NEVER GIVE THIS TO ANYONE). Like, it'll say "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU" and possibly "Retail" or "OEM" underneath. It should also have an Xxx-xxxxx designation, like X08, X10, X11, etc.etc. The X number series would be helpful too.

It's an original, holographic labeled CD, correct? And you bought it at a normal retailer (best buy, target, comp usa, etc.etc.)?

On your other problems- we'll need more system information. You can google/download CPU-Z and run this. It has a function on the last tab to export an HTML report. Use this, zip it and attach the zip file to a post here. This will help us with any possible chipset, hardware and motherboard drivers you may still need. Installing video/sound drivers and directx isn't always enough, but instead may need additional controller/motherboard resource drivers for stability.

The 9250 card is fine for gaming, especially given the titles you are trying: Counter Strike Source and World of Warcraft. It should have no problems with either product. I'm hoping it's an AGP version versus PCI though for acceptable performance.

Lastly, when your computer restarts/blue screens, it leaves a mini-dump in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory. If you can zip the most recent 3-4 of these and attach them, we can look at them to possibly determine the point of failure.

So.. please get us some more information on your XP (whatever you can to describe the box/packaging and CD but NOT YOUR PRODUCT KEY), your CPU-Z zipped/HTML output and a few zipped minidumps from C:\Windows\Minidump folder. From these, we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi again BNX,
while I haven't had time to look at everything yet, the first several things I have looked at all point to the integrated sound/soundcard drivers.

For a test, Id uninstall all audio drivers in add-remove programs (and any mixer software that goes with it) then disable this in the BIOS. Then try playing one of your games with NO SOUND to see if the crashes are gone.

If so, we'll have to dig deeper to get your sound working properly,or you can try to re-download/install them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back