Computer restarts without any reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my "new" pc. I bought the MSI 655max mainboard and installed it, with a new case. When i copy and paste something in word or when i open too many progs simultaniously or when i insert a cd and i just press the button to open the cd, it usually restarts. I firstly thought that it was an OS problem, so i formatted the pc and installed a clean xp pro. But unfortunetly the problem continued and i wonder if it was a HDD problem so i borrowed another HDD from my neighboor and again installed xp pro. The problem continued and i get really upset. Often when i check the CPU usage it goes up to 100% when i open a cd but it is stable at 10% when i am not using anything that needs the cpu usage to increase. I used to have norton systemworks 2004 but it made it restart more frequently when i used it (maybe because it needs more cpu usage), so i use norton antivirus 2002. I would really appreciate it if you could help me at this great problem that i face. This is my system spec:

Intel P4 1.6Ghz
MSI 655max-ht ready
512 DDR-kingston
Maxtor 6L040J2 40GB 7200rpm
Gainward nvidia GeForce FX 5200-64Mb
Windows Xp Pro SP2

I think its a different problem. I get an error with xp when it is restarted. I pressed more info and i got this:

BCCode : fe BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : 820CA0E0 BCP3 : 10397001
BCP4 : 82141180 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

If in any way this helps :/

Check your ram...try with other one
Also check if dma for hdd is enabled
Try with diferent video cards
Usually that happents 'cause of ram!!!
Good luck

I downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostic to test my RAM and there were no problems. Where is the dma for hdd? Thanks for replying :)

go to my computer/properties/hardware/device/manager/ide ata-atapi contrillers/primary ide and secondary ide
Set the transfer mode value to ''dma if available''

Please give us some new detailes about your problem.Include also which programs are loaded when system starts(Look in task manager)

It is not a specific program that causes the restart. Different applications make it restart and not always. It is a very weird phenomenon.

I removed one RAM, 256ddr, for curiosity and it seems that the pc is now cured. Now the pc works with only 256ddr, but unfortunelty it is a bit slow. What this means that my RAM is not working properly or that my slot is not working? How can i find this out? Can i try the RAM into a different slot in the mainboard, or it is just effective RAM ? ( I have read in the mainboard's quick user quide that it can support on every slot the same type of RAM ). Also when i did installed my RAM i have put them in DIMM1 and DIMM2, but today i have noticed a note: The combination of DIMM1 and DIMM3 will be with best performance. Thanks for helping guys. :D

PC Application Starting Problem!!!

Yeah... I had the same problem with my PC. It was affected by Virus. I scanned throughly and scanned all hard disk drives with the latest AV software available...
Thanx...

I'm sure it's your RAM mate. I have that problem, and now I'm running with only a 128MB of RAM. Most Probably, your RAM is fried, or else it's not compatible with your MoBo. Best thing to do is to go to any computer store and ask them to try different memory sticks (Take your PC with you, because some of the stores won't accept it back after purchase). Usually cheaper memory will result in these random restarts, I can tell from my experience. GoodLuck mate.

Regards

DANIEL

It is from the same company both RAM, kingston, working at 266mhz. I have bought them for $60 each which is quite a lot of money, hopping that there will not be any problems in the future. In my country kingston memory is supposed to be No1. I think i will go and buy some more RAM. What companies do you recommend Daniel? Thanks.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back