Computer running extreamly slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver Slayer

I really have no idea as to where to put this as I haven't a clue as to what is causing it, so if this ends up being in the wrong place, sorry.

When I returned from vacation the ME that I share with my sister was running slow... slow is an understatement, my screen saver lags.
I have run a spyware scan, and while I did find a disturbing amount, it hasn't even made a dent in the problem. And please don't say "ME sucks, get a new computer" I know ME sucks, but I'm holding out until Vista comes out for a new computer. I just need a fix to hold off the enevitible distruction of this thing until then.
(Sometimes it does seem as if it is better for a while when I reboot the computer, but I don't really know for sure. Also, I don't really know if this is relivent, but when I checked everest, it said my CPU utilization was at %100, this seemed like a bit much seeing as all I was doing was browsing the web.)

Thank you for your help.

When did you last delete cookies, temp. internet files, empty the Temp directory, did a CHKDSK/Scandisk, defrag the harddisk?

I will try all of that, but this computer refuses to finish a defrag, it goes so far, then it just restarts, saying that the hard drive has changed. I had a revalation as to some software that might be doing this, and I will try defraging after I disable it, but I don't have very high hopes.(It didn't work)

I don't think it's any of that though, I found windows system monitor, and on startup my cpu usage is normal, then after 20 minutes or so BAM! right up to %100, it's been sitting like that for 5 minutes now, and it has me more then a little worried about my CPU, that can't be healthy for it, keeping in mind that this computer is 4 years old.

I have done all of that (exept the scandisk, checkdisk, and defrage, because they still don't work and the empty temp directory because I have no idea how) and their is no change, the CPU usage still jumps up to %100 after about 5 or ten minutes and everything gets lagy.

100% usage shouldn't burn out your CPU if you have decent cooling.

Try to disconnect from the internet (pull the cable) and then run the spyware removal programs.

You will also probably need to reboot into safe mode and disable the ME recovery crap.

I pulled out the network, it didn't make a difference, still maintains %100 I really don't know that my cooling is like, the computer is a Dell hand-me-down. I'm running ad-aware, but at these speeds it could take some time, I think I will install spybot search and destroy as well, maby it will find something that ad-aware is missing. What's "the ME recovery crap"?

Also, it says I have 816 "process modules" what the heck are those and is that to many?

I ran spybot, and though it did find a fair amount of spyware, the CPU now tops out almost instintaniously, also in a possibly related note, my control panel is empty, even though is says it contains 43 items.

Also also, AVG doesn't update right anymore, even though I completly uninstalled, then reinstalled it, leading me to think that is might be a virus.

The simplest answer...................................................learn and use Linux.

Windows vistax100000= linux.

I have windows vista beta and it is as same as windows XP, just the graphics are much better.....infact Xp is more stable than vista. :grinthumb

I think I know why I have to diable system restore (it adds an eternity on to scan times) but, I can not use the tutorial in you post to do so as my control panel is empty, is their any other way to disable it?

Well, the reason that Vista isn't much different then XP is that it's a Beta.

And I do maintain a Linux machine, however, as Linux versions of games are hard to come by, I also have this.

Ok, did an ad-aware and spybot scan while in safe mode, restarted in safe mode, and ran hijackthis and got the attached log.

On a side note, almost every problem I have been having with this thing lately disapeared when I went into safe mode, even the mysterious disappearing 128mb of RAM. So I think we are on the right track.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 6
A couple of things...lets start with what type of anti virus you are running. If you can get a hold of NORTON 2005 it could help. It has a one button fix that repairs your registry. It can speed up your computer significantly. I ran it on my roommates laptop and it helped tremendously.

2nd I would not recommend turning off system restore (granted it only works 80% of the time). But if you don't know a lot about fixing your computer it is a great quick way to undo things.

Is their a reputable freeware program that does the same thing?

It has been actin up for a long time, the amount of pictures, word docs. and things of that matter that I would lose would be stagering, besides, once I get this fixed I'm going to turn it back on. (I really should back stuff up more often)

It looks like the CPU problem is gone (spybot found some nasty sounding stuff) but my control panel is still messed up, could somebody give my Hijakethis log a once over?

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.
Press Ctrl/Alt/Del simultaneously, select Taskmanager/Processes, select the process (if there), click "End Process" for:

loadqm.exe

Next, try to UNinstall anything to do with (not delete yet!):
C:\PROGRA~1\SVAPLA~1\SVAPLA~1.DLL

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
...................................................................................................
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: BrowserHelper Class - {EBCDDA60-2A68-11D3-8A43-0060083CFB9C} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NZDD.DLL
O2 - BHO: MediaDir Class - {1E6F1D6A-1F20-11D4-8859-00A0CCE26836} - C:\PROGRA~1\SVAPLA~1\SVAPLA~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O9 - Extra button: Dell Home - {63D9F689-FA15-4ECF-91BC-C4D0734E14EA} - http://www.my.delleworks.com (file missing) (HKCU)
Fix ALL your O16 - DPF: entries
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.

When done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Ok, I did everthing you said, but their where a few problems

1. I have no documents and settings folder, at all

2. I couldn't find a folder called progra~, but I do remember seeing it somewhere before

3. I couldn't delete nzdd.dll because it was "In use by windows"

4. I could find no folder named svapla~1

The control panel is still empty. :(

1) I don't know the internal structure for ME. W2K and XP have it. Find your Temp folder by clicking on Start/Run and type in %temp%, then click OK. Clean it up as described.
2) progra~1 is the standard abbreviation for Program files
3) Boot into MSDOS, then type in del c:\windows\nzdd.dll and hit enter. Reboot in Windows
4) use your imagination! It's c:\Program Files\svapla-something

I wasn't aware that ~1 was an abreviation, I thought it was part of the name.

ok, SVA turned out to be SVAplaYER, it looked like some sort of winamp type thing, I didn't install it, so I deleted it.

I think I found the ME equivilent of the XP temp file, I cleaned it out.

nzdd.dll some how hide from my dos prompt, (for some reason my "reboot in MS dos" option at shutdown is gone, or maby I never had it.) but, when I shut down (and figured out hte little bliter had moved) I was able to remove it.

However, my control panel is still empty, would a repair install from the windows boot CD fix this?

Neither of the first 2 links where helpful, but tweakui is. Since it opens from the control panel I restarted in safe mode, then went to the control panel tab, where I found some stuff that doesn't look like it belongs their. They are as follows,

bdeadmin.cpl
ccpan32.cpl
qtw32.cpl
wtcontrolpanel.cpl

none of the above items have a discription like the rest.

Found to problem, all I had to do was switch to windows classic view. Thanks for all of your help guys, I apprishiate it. Man I hope they don't rush Vista like they did ME, because if I upgrade from one POS OS to another Bill Gate's health just might suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back