TechSpot

Computer running slow. Windows 8 pro

By ndhp123
Oct 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I have a custom built PC that I built about a year ago. The past couple of weeks I have been having intermittent issues, but the past week it has been more consistent. It all really started when my computer had a hard freeze and I had to do a cold restart. When the computer restarted it went to a boot screen asking me to enter a boot disk and press a key. I turned the PC off and booted it again and windows loaded without a problem.

Now, the PC is not freezing, but is running generally slow. It will take it forever to load some applications like word, chrome, and others. The funny thing is if I play a game off of steam I am not having any issues (I have verified with FRAPS) the games are on a different hard-drive. I have tried several troubleshooting steps.

I ran a virus and malware scan, and both came back negative.
    I ran memtest86+ and I got no errors.
    All of my PSU voltages look to be good and are stable.
    I used can air to clean all of my fans and other components.
    I have monitored all of my temps and they appear to be good.
    I ran HD Tune and I did have some damaged blocks, but it (and a couple of other HDD programs) say the drive is in good health.
    All of my drivers are up to date.
    I checked all of my cabling and it appears to be secure.
    I replaced the cable for my SSD

The only thing I haven't tried is wiping the hard-drive and re-installing windows (I don't think it is windows).

I am at the point that either the SSD really is bad or perhaps my MB is going out. Any ideas?

Specs:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    AMD FX 4170
    AS Rock 990FX Extreme 3
    AMD Radeon HD 7850
    4 GB of Ram
    120 GB Kingston Hyper x SSD
    1 TB samsung HDD

Thank You
  2. ndhp123

ndhp123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, I meant to post this in tech support. IDK if a moderator can move it or not.
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,344   +49

4. ndhp123

ndhp123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have tried using the Kingston SMART software, but it will not recognize my drive. I ran chdsk on the SSD and windows is returning no errors.

I looked over that article briefly and I have heard about this. I will read it fully and look into that as a possibility.

The computer has been working fine all day today. Maybe I have an ESD damaged piece of hardware. I haven't always taken the necessary precautions.

Thanks

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.