Computer severely infected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just yesterday I started experiencing many problems with my computer, such as certain programs not opening or running, some were even deleted, such as WMP, notepad, fraps, Catalyst Control Center, Regedit, Command Prompt, and more. I reinstalled Windows, and everything seemed fine until I re-installed Catalyst Control Center, which would not run, and had the same error as before. I downloaded AVG, and it found over 100+ infected files, including system files. I followed the 8-step guide and found out that my computer had not only been infected with viruses, but also backdoors, trojans, rootkits, malware, adware, tracking cookies, and other nasty stuff. Attached are the Malwarebytes and HJT logs. The SUPERAntiSpyware one will be up shortly, but has only found a single tracking cookie so far. Also, I would LOVE to get rid of this without the need to format.

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

EDIT: I should also mention that it is preventing me from accessing anti-virus websites, such as McAfee, AVG, and Kaspersky.

EDIT: SUPERAntiSpyware log added.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
I believe I have gotten rid of most, if not all of the infections (took forever -_-). My only problem now is that I cannot access any antivirus websites and windows update, and microsoft.com.

Alright, I re-installed Windows again, and for a short time, all of the sites were fine, I could go wherever I wanted. I took this as an opportunity to install AVG and MWB and update them. Shortly after that, the virus hits again I find out that almosty every single executable on my computer is infected with W32.virut, and I am also no longer able to access antivirus websites. I downloaded two virut removal programs (from AVG and Symantec), but neither of them found anything.

And yes, I did run Malwarebytes again. I've probably ran it a good 5 times already.

You said you re-installed windows; does that mean you re-formatted?

Thats a very rare, and very bad infection. I've seen it happen only a couple of times in the past, myself having been a victim of it very very long ago.

The infection typically targets all opened/running programs by writing its malicious code into the executable. In this way, it virtually has turned every executable on your system into another means of perpetuating itself. Even if you managed to somehow find out which files have been infected, there is no clear way to actually fix them, other than delete the executable. This would render typically half or more of your programs useless.

From my experience, I'd strongly suggest a reformat, as we cannot be 100% sure we've detected every single infected file. It just takes 1 single infected executable to be run and you're back to square one.

I would advise you keep important files and documents (avoid executables as the infection targets those) and be sure to scan them thoroughly with a clean computer before you put them back in.

I reformatted my hard drive a few hours ago, and have not had any problems since. I looked up the virus, and pretty much everything I read about it said it was nearly impossible to remove, so I figured formatting would be the best thing to do. The only "important" files I lost were a few thousand songs and some TV shows, which are easily replaceable (yet time consuming to re-download =/). All the smaller, important stuff I was able to put on my flash mp3 player.

I have a question though: is it possible for the virus to infect executables on the flash drive? There were two hidden .exe's (I was able to view them since I had "show hidden files and folders" enabled) on the flash player that I believe are necessary to it's function, and was wondering if it was possible if the virus could have jumped to the flash drive and infected them. I haven't placed it in my computer yet, since I'm worried they might by infected as well. I also have AVG, would that detect and stop it?

EDIT: I just stuck the Flash drive in, and AVG immediately detected Win.32/virut in the two .exe's I mentioned above. It immediately quarantined them.

The threat's finally eliminated! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back