Computer shorting out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

So my new business build seems to run great however there must be a short somewhere. I let it run overnight and when I came into work all I did was close the door to the dvd and it stopped. It will start up only after I unplug the 24pin ps on the mobo. My first thought is , I put studs in all the holes of the mobo. Could this be a cause for the short? I was going to remove the mobo and only leave the studs needed to screw in the mobo. Thank you

Its a possibility, its also a possibility that the psu isn't that good. What make and wattage is the psu?

"Could this be a cause for the short? I was going to remove the mobo and only leave the studs needed to screw in the mobo"...

Yes it could. If you have a standoff under the motherboard where there is no screw hole, the board will short out. Make sure that you only have standoffs where there are screw holes in the motherboard. Remove any extra standoffs.

A standard ATX or mini-ATX take 5 or 6 standoffs. Some cases have a brass pin that takes the place of one standoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back