Computer Shutdown - Need cooling help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongan

My computer is constantly shutting itself down, but only when I am gaming.
After playing a game (e.g Brothers in Arms) for maybe 15 minutes, the computer just turns off!! It is getting really annoying and I'm worried the computer could be damaged if this continues.

I am guessing this problem is heat related and I was wondering (Since I have no knowledge in cooling) if anyone could help me find compatible cooling hardware for my computer, or even some tips that don't involve $$.

Any help is appreciated, and I can provide all system specs and temps if needed.

It's not only heat that could be causing the problem. It could also be power related. If your card isn't getting enough power, it's enough of a problem to cause shutdowns. So you may want to check what kind of specs you get with your current power supply, and double check to see if it provides enough power. I'm no expert on making those kinds of calculations. I only know enough about what might be causing the problem.

Typically shutdowns are related to a few things:
1) thermal events
2) insufficient power
3) corrupted memory
4) corrupted hard drive

Since you only experience the shutdowns during gaming, that means you can rule out #s 3 and 4. Post the specs of what your computer is running, and the power supply you have. It'll aid in further narrowing the cause between heat or power.

Specs

Computer Specs:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard Name: Acer E661GXM
RAM: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Motherboard Chipset: SiS 661GX
Video Card: RADEON X800 PRO/GTO (256 MB)
Hard Drive Total Size: 145.6 GB (87.8 GB free)
DMI System Product: Aspire SA80

Power supply (Not sure whether this stuff makes any sense):
CPU Core: 1.34 V
+2.5 V: 2.64 V
+3.3 V: 3.30 V
+5 V: 4.89 V
+12 V: 11.46 V
+5 V: Standby 4.92 V

My monitor, Tower and internet Modem are all plugged into the same multi-adapter.
Would I be better off plugging the tower directly into a wall power socket, rather than share an adapter with the other appliances?

Try using the UPS as that should regulate the power coming in. the 5V and 12V look a little low to me, but someone else could probably confirm this. Open up your box and see what wattage the PSU is capable of putting out.

Using Everest, I found that my motherboard is a steady 41 Degrees C, therefore the problem is not Temperature related.
I turned on the UPS ("Back-UPS" from "American Power Conversion"), and played Games for a while and everything seemed fine.

K, the Side of the PSU reads:
AC INPUT: 100 - 127/220 - 240v
DC OUTPUT: 300W (+3.3v & +5v=130W Max)

PS...Like I said before, Would I be better off plugging the tower directly into a wall power socket, rather than share an adapter with the other appliances?

Thanks mate.

Ive just been reading forums etc. and I think I need a new PSU...

If so, do I need to follow certain guidelines to find PSU's that will be compatible with my Computer specs(Which are in my 2nd Post) like with Video Cards etc??

help appreciated.

My AMD64 3500+/1gb/6800GT 256mb computer was doing this. It was because the CPU was reaching 80c+.

The cause of this was DUST! There was a few mm of thick dust between the heatsink and fan. If you can, take your fan off and check underneath for dust because this same CPU now runs at around 20-30c, and reaches 40-50c when in full use which is quite a crazy difference.

If it isn't dust thats causing the problem like it did for me, it could be the PSU. There aren't any rules you must follow buying a new one, just make sure its of a high quality and I think you should go for 500W or higher for stability. I've just bought this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563 and it is fine, but to be honest I think that you could spend as little as £20 and get good enough performance.

According to "Everest" my CPU temp is perfectly normal (around 20 Deg.C).
So I am now quite sure that I need a new PSU, but I'll still give my Computer a good clean out...it needs one anyways;)

Thanks for all the help peoples...You have made me a bit smarter.

Later.

Tongan said:
According to "Everest" my CPU temp is perfectly normal (around 20 Deg.C).
So I am now quite sure that I need a new PSU, but I'll still give my Computer a good clean out...it needs one anyways;)

Thanks for all the help peoples...You have made me a bit smarter.

Later.

Cool it doesn't seem to be the CPU after all then, but you should clean it out anyway :cool:. BTW, does anything happen just before it shuts down? Do you get crazy colours on the screen, or blue screen of death? Or does it just shut down immediately? If you get any of the first two things I've mentioned it could be your graphics card, because I've had them problems before and it was linked with the graphics card overheating or malfunctioning. Sorry if I'm throwing in random suggestions here its just that I also have had shutdown problems before thanks to a number of different things and so I wanted to cover it thoroughly :D

All Good

No, none of those things happen beforehand:approve: ...It just shuts down immediately.

But thanks for all the help:grinthumb .

Ill go about getting that PSU, and come back if theres any problems.

Cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back