Computer shuts down after a period of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanbag

Hi thanks for reading, I have a really weird problem with my PC, which I built myself at the end of last year.

It worked fine until, some months ago, when I was playing Call of Duty 4, the frame rate dropped drastically (I play it all High smoothly with an XFX 8600 GT). I thought it strange but expected it to stop in a few moments, but after a few seconds the whole computer shut off.

This had never happened before, so thinking it was some random error I switched it on, went off for awhile and when I came back it was off once more. I started it up again only to have it shut off by itself again after some booting.

Desperate, this repeated for a couple of times till I opened the casing cover, checked everything was connected, closed the casing and started it up. However, this time I had left my computer tower lying on the floor, instead of it standing straight up as it was previously. Strangely, it didn't shut off.

This works until now- a day ago I stood the tower straight up while it was on. It didn't turn off for a long time (about an hour or so) then it shut off. So now it's lying on the floor again.

Please help if you can! I have no idea what's happening...

I do have some other problems with my PC since I am a completely amateur to PC building and was rather surprised to find my rig works the first time after assembly, but I'm sure that they're not related to this. I'm thinking it's a cooling problem but I've no idea where to begin!

Specs:
Asus P5K Pro mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300
XFX 8600 GT XXX Edition
Ac Bel 510W ATX PSU
Centurion 5 CAC-T05 Casing

EDIT: My mobo included some AI Suite that allows me to view the CPU's temperature. When the case is lying down, it's about 32-34C (not under load). But when I stand the case upright, it rises to 70C+ and I immediately lie the case down because I don't dare let it go any higher.

Upon checking the CPU Heatsink Fan, all 4 screws connected it to the mobo were loose. I screwed them tightly but the above situation happened again, although it was a tad slower to happen. I removed the CHF and checked out the CPU- there was some melted stuff on it so I assume it's the thermal paste. So, what is wrong with it? Should I buy another heatsink fan or what...

Hey Spyder_1386, I have downloaded Everest but am at no clue at what to do next. Yes it is probably the GPU or CPU overheating but how do I confirm this? Do I stand my tower upright and watch their temperatures? Please give me a step by step if possible if I'm not asking too much...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back