Computer shuts down by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

|-|ybrid

I didn't really know where to put this thread, but since this problem appears to be about cooling than anything else, I just put it here...

Anyway, I own a laptop built from Digital Star (for those who live out of Australia, Digital Star is an Australian computer company who get their hardware from Uniwill) and I've been having this problem lately.

Everytime I play any game, the computer shuts down by itself after about 10 minutes into the game, but, instead of appearing with the standard "Windows is saving your settings, etc." screen, it just shuts down.
I have also found that about 2 seconds before this happens, everything stops working: sound, keyboard, etc., and that the fans start going berserk.

Since this problem has been happening, the computer has been going really slow. It has come to the point where a Natural Selection server with 6 players will get me only about 30 FPS in average (depending on the map size)... and then the computer shuts down.

I really need help with this problem since I have e-mailed the support page for my computer and gone into about any forum I can find and nothing has helped me so far. I am going to return it in about a week, but I would like to try different things to see if it is software.

My computer:

15.4" WXGA TFT 1280x800 Widescreen Display
Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512Kb L2 Cache w/ HT Technology
Kingston 2x512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 SO DIMM
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro 8x AGP
2.5" 60GB 7200rpm Notebook Hard Disk
8x Dual-Layer DVD-/+RW DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition OEM w/ SP2

Note that I always keep it plugged in, so battery life is of no importance.

Please reply!

|-|ybrid

There are possibly 3 things that come to mind, in no particular order:

1) Heating. Try putting the laptop up on something to keep it off the table. Then perhaps place a desk fan or something to blow across it. I guess heat only because you say it "shuts down". Which I take to mean the computer turns OFF. And NOT restart. This could be a BIOS overheat function, shutting down the PC to protect itself.

2) Drivers. Try updating the video, sound, Network drivers.

3) Viruses. Some viruses can shut down your PC, though most give a message before they do. Try running a free online scan at housecall.trendmicro.com

Alos look into your power management settings, try changing it to the profile "always on" or "home office desk". Look around for anything else that might be issue.

Laptops can be stupid like this. But good luck anyway!

Thank you for your time,
Unfortunately, I've already been doing these 4 things since I don't know when and they haven't worked since, but I do immensely appreciate your help.

|-|ybrid

How's the weather down in ausie town? I hear there are a lot of PC Repair jobs over there, the pay any good? I hear they are short on techs. I'd love to visit :)

Anyhoo, if you can, or have attempted a reload of Windows with all new drivers, plus the things I mentioned, which you said you've been doing; then certainly there are issues with the laptop, good to take it back. Don't you Australians buy Dells or Sony or anything over there?
I generally would stay away from non-worldwide names for laptops. Stick with tried and true makers.

Well thanks for you help anyway...
I bought this computer 'cause Dell is SO f****ing expensive here and Sony is crap (Aussies only buy Sony TVs, I'm Canadian!). We heard of this computer in PC World magazine, and it came second in this showdown thing only because of its lack of battery power, and since I'm a gamer, I stay plugged in anyway.

So thats my story...

|-|ybrid

*EDIT*

I forgot to tell you that I've already tried to format my hard drive and re-install Windows XP Pro... didn't work. On top of that, the computer shut down like now DURING the Windows installation, but it didn't cause any problems.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing...
I'm in Brisbane too! What suburb you in? I'm in Kenmore Hills!

|-|ybrid

May have a solution

hi,

I was wondering if there was a pop up or a window that tells you that there is a shutdown taking place? If there is, you should go to the run menu and type in shutdown -a. This command should end any current shutdown process.

-Patchfp86

If you had read the first thread, you would have realised that no, there is no message there.

Thanks anyway...

|-|ybrid

me dell shuts down by itself

my dell computer shuts down by itself and i need help try to figure it out everytime i open a huge file it shutsdown after 20 min

Need a bit more info

Eric,

How does your computer act when you try to open this file? Does it make any sounds or noises? How do the hardware and software seem to be running while this file is open? What kind of file is it? How big is the file and does this happen with other files this size? :confused: You should try to open others and see. Now, you say that the file is open for a short amount of time until the comp crashes. During this time period, what happens? Does the file run extremely slow? Also, your comp info and model would be nice.

I have a dell XPS for both my desktop and laptop. My desktop recently needed a new video and my laptop is still working ok. (I have everything under a 4 year warrenty, so if I ever need anything they send it out free.;) ) If worst come to worst you can send your comp back to them and get a new one depending on your warrenty.

So give me that info so I can narrow down the possibilities and we can try and work something out. :)

-Patchfp86

I had a similar problem with a desktop computer, and I could no figure it out forever.... it would just keep crashing.... I would get into 10-20 mins of playing diablo or running stressful program and it would restart.

My problem was in the power supply, and was a part of a over heating issue.
Even tho you may have check for other over heating I would check the power supply.

Don't know if it helps, but its in relation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back