Computer shuts down on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC has developed a fault where it switches itself off for no apparant reason. It started today and so far has switched itself off 4 or 5 times. When it does switch off, it won't always boot back up straight away, you press the power switch it comes to life for a few seconds and then dies. I'm pretty sure its not software related, as when it doesn't boot up, it doesn't even get to load any software before shutting down again.

The computer is almost 5 years old and has the following spec.

Built by Alienware:
AMD Athlon XP2200+, 1.8ghz
Asus Motherboard
1024MB Mem
120gb HDD
extra 160gb HDD that I installed a month ago
Windows XP Service Pack 2
NVidia GForce 6600 graphics card
Creative SB Audigy Card

It has 3 fans (sounds like an aircraft) and is definately not over heating, as it is very cool inside. I have read that this type of fault is usually down to a faulty or old PSU. Also the computer clock is always out by a few hours when I switch it off, which I am told is down to the little battery on the motherboard being dead.

I have disconnected my HDD that I installed, as I had to daisy chain the power from the other HDD and it still switches off.

I'm thinking it could be the PSU and will probably end up taking it to the local PC Repair place, but they want to charge me £45 +VAT to look at it.
I don't know what PSU it has at the moment, but as it was built by Alienware it shouldn't be a cheap one.

The computer has been running for almost an hour and not switched off, but I know it will happen anytime now.

The "button" CMOS battery on the motherboard is probably weak and in need of being replaced along with the power supply. These are not hard things to do yourself

Try resetting the bios. While you are at it, check the bios settings for CPU over temp and fan shutdown warnings

I had a similar problem a while back and it turned out to be heat related. The computer will shut off if the CPU overheats.

1) Is the shutdown sudden and complete, with no "shutting down" windows or anything?

2) Does it run for longer from a cold start than from an immediate restart?

Both are symptoms of an overheat shutdown.

In my case I looked inside and found that one of the four anchors for the fan than attaches on the CPU was not clicked into the Mobo, thus putting a tiny gap between the CPU and the heat sink base. The CPU would overheat and the system would do an overheat safety shutdown.

I had this problem for a few days until I pushed the anchor into the mobo with an audible "click" and the problem vanished.

Just one possibility.

System shuts down

it could also be a hardware or driver failure.

Check the system logs and see what they say.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

Look at the error and system logs, see what they say at the point the system shut down. See what devices failed.

I had a similar issue and it turned out my hard drive got errors on it, and might have corrupted system files, causing the shutdowns. In the error logs it would report the hard drive would fail or have an error.

I hope that helps.

i have the exact same symptoms how did you resolve them?

The OP is, of course, welcome to answer. I had identical symptoms. In my case I looked inside and found that one of the four anchors for the fan than attaches on the CPU was not clicked into the Mobo, thus putting a tiny gap between the CPU and the heat sink base. The CPU would overheat and the system would do an overheat safety shutdown.

I had this problem for a few days until I pushed the anchor into the mobo with an audible "click" and the problem vanished.

Try here; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic89138.html
and here; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55506.html
I myself had this problem. I almost threw out a good Mobo, after coming to the conclusion that all the other hardware were good. How I found out is an unsafe method of doing this, but i started up the comp, then detached the power switch from the mobo, and waited for a while to see if it would shutdown. It never Did. Please do not do this. It is best to get one that is compatible with your system, remove the old one first. then install the new one, then start up your system.

Not saying that this is the problem, just that it could be.

I don't think so.

My Cpu doesn't go over 43 degrees in full load
and my other temp are low. And i told you it got shut down even if i was doing nothing, checkin my mail or watching a movie.

Pc shutdown

Hi Palladin

I'v got the exact same problem as you. I still dont no what couldbe wrong. My pc doesn't want to switch back on after it turned itself off so i just unplug the power cable at the back and it will switch on again. I think it could be my chip thet's getting too hot.I also opened my box and put a big industrial fan that's blowing directly on the pc that will keep it going for hours. If you'v found a solution for your prob please tell me.

Thanks. Zoeloe

i would say try to reseat the HSF with new thermal paste and make sure there is good air flow in the case also may want to check the PSU and make sure its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back