Computer shuts down randomly and takes about 30 secs to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer suddenly shut off completely about 2 weeks ago. Then I couldn't turn it back on. In frustration, I repeatedly pressed the power on button and lo and behold, about 30 seconds worth of pushing the button convinced it to come back to life.

Then oddly enough, ever since then, the computer has been shutting off completely at random intervals and after about 30 seconds of pushing the on button, it powers up. Sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for up to a day. Very, very odd.

Then lately, it has been giving a disk check before entering windows. No bad sectors at all so can't figure what's going on.

Any hints?

I've checked all power connections, sniffed around for any power problems but can't figure out anything. It worked fine for about 6 months but suddenly this odd problem.

Sounds as though your harddrive may be about to fail

You may want to make all backups of data before it does

This problem is either
HardDrive (likely)
Powersupply
Heat (are all the internal fans operation ? )
You may also need to clear out all internal dust inside the computer
As long as you are comfortable in doing such a technical job

I was thinking it sounds exactly like the CPU getting hot resulting in the PC to shut down. The 30 second delay could be a 'cool down' time. As soon as it's cool enough to boot, it will. The post by 'kimsland' has the right ideas. Take the side off of your PC and look for dust and junk clogging the fins of the CPU heatsink. Also grip your CPU fan assembly carefully and gently rock it a little to see if the fan has gotten loose. Install "Everest" or "PC Wizard" and closely watch the temps leading to the shutdown. Good Luck.

pdyckman-I thought it was the fan at first too but it does the same thing even when starting cold. All fans are working fine.

Kimsland-thanks for the reminder. :) I'm gonna switch out the hard drive and see if that's the problem today. Then I'll check the powersupply.

a cpu over heat or memory over heat

cpu's get hot fast especially right off of boot up
check the cpu heatsink if it wiggles freely thats a no no
thermal paste can dry up over time vibrations will crack the connection allowing air in thats a no no
clogged up from dust same thing
I think it's time for a complete wash down eha
HDD errors don't seem to do what your system is doing
there is the stop on errors thing if the drive is over heating
the machine will reboot
in bios disable stop on errors except for keyboard /mouse
check the temp of drive put yer hand on the non conductive part of it

robertjd said:
Then lately, it has been giving a disk check before entering windows. No bad sectors at all so can't figure what's going on.

Can refer to Harddrive issues even with no bad sectors found

Well, seems like it was the power. I installed a new power and it's up and running. First tried using a new hard drive, then sent the motherboard in to get checked, no dice. Wierd error but it seems like it's fixed. Either that or all the jiggling around fixed something.

Anyway, issue solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back