Computer shuts down

By carliz
Jun 6, 2008
  1. hi can some can some one please help my computer was stuck on screen saver and would not soft boot after turning it back on it turns it self off now saying windows has shut down to protect my data and say s there s a hardware or software problem i have 4 hard drives in 2 are sata 2 are ide one of the hard drives is old i think the top 2 hard drives are masters my mother board is fairly knew so thank you for you time
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You would likely need to test the hard drives, one at a time. Go to the manufacturer's website and download their drive fitness test, then run it on each drive while in a USB external enclosure or a second bay of another computer.
    Running it as a slave should not make Windows angry. The tests usually take four or five minutes for the S.M.A.R.T test. Any drives which fail the S.M.A.R.T test should then be run with the longer full test.
    There are enclosures that will allow either an EIDE or a SATA install.
    My guess is that your main boot drive has gone off to the happy hunting ground.
    Another solution would be to install a new, fresh drive and install it as the Windows boot drive. Then test the other three.
    Once you determine which drive is faulty, you can put that drive in the enclosure to recover most of your data using it as a slave. It is likely that only some of the first 8 drive sectors are bad... often caused by a bubbling up of the magnetic media, or excess heat.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.