Computer shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ded2day

Hey. I have recently acquired a problem when I leave my computer on, it will shutdown in about 15 minutes when the screensaver comes on. It will also boot up again, but it says there is a boot disk error, and it won't find my hard drive until I swap the sata port. I thought it was a heat issue, I do have fans to cool it. I thought it might be my graphics card, so I purchased a new one (which I wanted to do), I even changed my power supply to a bigger wattage. I am tempted of getting a motherboard which I don't want to do it's my last resort. Is it a virus or malware? Or do I have to replace the motherboard? Or is it something else?

Try updating the motherboard's bios first. You can find the bios file on the computer manufactures support website

Ded2day,

Any update?

1. Have you checked your hard drive?
- When rebooting the PC, do you have the problem consistently?
- If so, have you looked in the BIOS to see if the HD is even registering in there?
- Do you get any warnings?
- Do you have SMART enabled for the drives? I did have a problem where one of my HDs
was marginal and would only be detected on boot-up sometimes.

2. From your description, it sounds like the PC is either shutting down completely, or going to
sleep. What power saving profile do you have?

I used seatools diagnostic for the hard drive. Aparrently there are errors, so I'm getting a new hard drive, and maybe that will fix it. I always have to shut off my computer, or it will shut down and reboot and it won't find the hard drive, and it wants a boot disk, when that happens I turn it off, change the sata cable to a different port?/plug-in location, then it finds my hard drive and it starts up fine. I used to have always on for power. I tried changing that, I tried changing my screensaver settings. I'm pretty sure it's my hard drive, or motherboard. I'm not sure about SMART for the drive? what does that do?

So just an update. I put in a new hard drive, installed win XP, and everything seems to be working fine for now. Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back