TechSpot

Computer shuts off and restarts

By Nikeh4xs
Oct 17, 2005
  1. For the past 3-4 months my computer has shut off and restarted.. it stopped for a while, but the last 2 days its done it 50 times a day, and its very annoying.. i was wondering what all i need to post so i can get help.. so far i have this.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

blah blah blah all that crap about reinstalling drives and contacting adminstrator

STOP: 0x000000BE (0xBF878790, 0x1088C021, 0xEFA72AF4, 0x0000000C)

Win32k.sys - Address BF97C374 base at BF800000, Datestamp 3b7de698

(also when im playing computer games like wc3 or counter-strike and im IN-GAME it doesn't shut off and restart, but if i alt tab it will)

Someone please help me out!!! its due... i've been dealing with this problem for way to long

BTW im using Windows XP Proffesional

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE for instructions on how to test your ram.

If that doesn`t help, then zip 5, or 6 minidumps together, and post them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Nikeh4xs

Nikeh4xs TS Rookie Topic Starter

sorry howard.... right now my computer is shutting off every 2-3 mins... so i can't start to work on something w/o it shutting off... its pissing me off.. im on my moms computer right now cause its the only way i can post to you

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Can you boot into safemode with networking?

Regards Howard :)

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

check your memory overnight with memtest86, then check all your drivers, especially your graphics driver.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.