Computer Shuts off/Power Light Stays on

Jonathan Redlin

So I built my PC awhile back without any error, but recently something changed, Ive been noticing strange ticking sounds coming from inside my pc. These clicking often escalate and then coincide with a pc complete shut down. Im unable to find the source of these noises. But Ill give you afew examples of when my pc decides to shut down "some of them you may find odd" My PC is built for intensivish gaming, More specifically Strategy games, Recently Ive decided to replay the Halo Wars 2 campaign, this is when it gets weirdish. My pc runs completely fine on the normal user controlled gameplay, but as soon as a cutscene happens my pc just says nope and shuts off. I've honestly checked everything and im at a loss, I have to have a game open in the back ground to even post this at the moment, which is also weird, but here are my specs. Please say yall have a solution to this..

Specs:
CPU: AMD 8350 4.0ghz "Not overclocked"
RAM: 16GB Xtreme
PSU: Thermaltake 500W
GPU: Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB
HDD: 1TB
FANS: 1 CPU - 2 Case Mounted.

Last edited:
"checked everything " - what were temps(idle and in game)?
"ticking" - loose wire hitting fan blade? failing fan?
"unable to find the source of these noises" - if you have a microphone use it as a probe (I added a cardboard cone) while watching chart of sound level in Audacity or similar

"checked everything " - what were temps(idle and in game)?
"ticking" - loose wire hitting fan blade? failing fan?
"unable to find the source of these noises" - if you have a microphone use it as a probe (I added a cardboard cone) while watching chart of sound level in Audacity or similar
I checked to make sure all wires were out of harms way, and the noise definitely isnt from the fans, And can you point me in the direction of a reliable software for monitoring temperature? - Jonathan

While the temps for the cores (I think that is what they are) seem uneven (possibly indicating a need for new thermal paste), I think you have a BINK issue. Weird stuff ( http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm ) which gave me a rotten time about 20 years ago. Whether it is driver conflict or a corrupt file somewhere, I cannot tell (unless your crashes identify the bad file).
If you haven't already - turn off automatic restart on error. Check Event Viewer for 'faulting applications'.

While the temps for the cores (I think that is what they are) seem uneven (possibly indicating a need for new thermal paste), I think you have a BINK issue. Weird stuff ( http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm ) which gave me a rotten time about 20 years ago. Whether it is driver conflict or a corrupt file somewhere, I cannot tell (unless your crashes identify the bad file).
If you haven't already - turn off automatic restart on error. Check Event Viewer for 'faulting applications'.
I reapplied thermal paste last night, and I formatted and then reinstalled my entire OS aswell as all of my drivers that needed to be installed. "Installed from developer websites not from disks" but this still doesn't explain the PC shutting itself off and then NOT restarting, everything just stops and then the power light stays on, and from there I need to switch off the psu from the back to even do anything.

Leads me to think there are TWO problems... ticking whatever and cutscene crash... the trick with microphone and Audacity works on specific sounds...if we could isolate that, then a component replacement might work...

Otherwise the ticking is really hard to diagnose.. thermal expansion?.. problem inside PSU?

Cutscene crash is weird. This sounds like corrupt files related to running the cutscene and Bink is the most identifiable element..Bink comes integrated in the game itself - but could, if broken, impact several games.

You are the observer...does ticking really coincide with cutscene crash?...or can you isolate the ticking issue?

Leads me to think there are TWO problems... ticking whatever and cutscene crash... the trick with microphone and Audacity works on specific sounds...if we could isolate that, then a component replacement might work...

Otherwise the ticking is really hard to diagnose.. thermal expansion?.. problem inside PSU?

Cutscene crash is weird. This sounds like corrupt files related to running the cutscene and Bink is the most identifiable element..Bink comes integrated in the game itself - but could, if broken, impact several games.

You are the observer...does ticking really coincide with cutscene crash?...or can you isolate the ticking issue?
The PC ticking DEFINITELY. Coincide with the cutscenes crash. The ticking occurs whenever I'm IDLE and becomes more intense when a shutdown is about to happen.

So lets's find the tick. Do you have a microphone or a microphone/webcam on a wire that you can plug in? Download and install Audacity (free.. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3194-audacity.html ) and set up to 'record' - you should be able to monitor sound levels now.

Pull sides off your system and probe for the tick - I ended up with a cardboard funnel tied to a microphone to 'focus' the probe. Hope you find it.

So lets's find the tick. Do you have a microphone or a microphone/webcam on a wire that you can plug in? Download and install Audacity (free.. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3194-audacity.html ) and set up to 'record' - you should be able to monitor sound levels now.

Pull sides off your system and probe for the tick - I ended up with a cardboard funnel tied to a microphone to 'focus' the probe. Hope you find it.
So I'm still unable to isolate the sound, but it sounds as if its coming from one of two places, Near the top of the MBO by my CPU and down near my Power Supply. The Powersupply is brand new though So im at a loss.

" built my PC awhile back without any error, but recently something changed"
" The Powersupply is brand new "

Why did you replace PSU? Did your problem arise since then - or was it there before?

You could remove all components from case and re-assemble with it spread out on your workbench- ticking should be obvious then.

Back