computer shutsdown but power light on power button still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamykaziken

everytime i play a game wif high graphics my computer just closes but the power is still on. i have to force close it by holding down the power button for 5 seconds then turn it back on. the computer closes like this whenever i play a game and i hear from the back of the computer it makes some static kind of noise. when it gets louder and faster the computer closes. i just recently bought a 256mb graphics card and installed it thinking it was a graphics card problem because i had a 64mb one before. i have 1088mb ram so i dont think its a ram problem. but basically im just trying to play this game called silkroad online but it happens to other good graphic games as well. can any solve this problem?

It sounds like your power supply is the problem. Maybe old age, defective or underpowered. Underpowered would be my guess.

does underpower mean i dont have enuf power from the power outlet? because i had my hairdryer on a lot of times wif my computer on in the same outlet so i dont think its underpower. but the sounds come from my power supply in the back of my computer so im not suuure if its that but it might b

No, mailpup means your power supply isn't beefy enough to support your system. As in, the power supply itself is the problem, because it doesn't supply enough power to your system. It could be that or your computer could be overheating. Also, why would your hairdryer be plugged into the same outlet near your computer? :confused:

its in teh same outlet. mabe it is the power supply problem then =T darn i just bought this power supply like 1yr ago

On the box most likely and probably on the power supply itself.

Just a number with a w after it. Mine's a 450w power supply for example.

welll all i can see opening teh computer right now is - suntec power supply (looks bootlegged) 430 switching power supply and then it shows a chart
[AC input] and like a lot of numbers
[AC output] a lot of numbers ....
[DC output] +3.3V] +5V] +12V] -12V] -5V] +5sb]
] 24A] 32A] 15A] 0.5A] 0.5A] 2.0A]

iono really weird but i dont see anything that has a w after the number but would this b a 430watt one?

Yeah that's most likely it. And unless you're running an SLI rig with a huge beefy dual/quad core processor and case lighting and everything 430w should be fine I think.

but i want to b able to play this game or any high graphic games. i dont kno how to fix this problem y does my computer keep closing itself when i play these games???

It's probably overheating if it shuts off like that. Does it happen immediately after you start the game or only after a little while?

15 amps on the +12V rail is marginal, in my opinion. Of course, it depends on what the rest of your system specifications are, in particular the graphics card. When you bought the new graphics card, perhaps your old power supply (PSU) couldn't keep up with the more powerful new card.

It could be overheating as ckrieger suggested. Either way, a new PSU should fix the problem. I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents (USD).

My twopennyworth (Old English Money) is on the PSU giving up. You could give it a fighting chance by making sure all the vents are clear and the air can get through it. If it sounds like frying and then cuts out this is probably the thermal overload switch that some (but not all) PSUs have. Check the obvious and make sure the PSU fan is spinning!

well when i start my game it loads everything. then its the log in screen which in the background it moves around and basically making a lot of loading and i already start hearing the sounds behind my computer. at times my computer can close here if i hear the sound going crazy but usually it does when i click on my character and log into the game. after that the game starts loading and during this loading theres a bar to show when it completes. every time the bar increases it makes that sound in the back again and when it loads really fast almost all the times my computer closes from it. but if i made it through the login and loading usually i can play the game until i run into a map that has a lot of people then it closes again -_- this makes it really hard for me to play games.

well i see 3 fans inside. 2 from the powersupply. and 1 from w/e that is with all the stuff that i have like my graphics card and stuff. well i see some dust that i cant seem to clean out in there but cleaned most of it. then on the power supply theres a fan outside in the back which seems to be spinning and a fan under the powersupply which seems like its spinning i cant feel that much air coming out.

RE: mailpup
well this happened before i got the new graphics card and the old one is 64mb .this new one is 256mb. i got the new graphics card because i thought that maybe that game was overloading my graphics or something and then my computer couldn't take it and closed like that.

Those sounds from behind the PC could be the PSU and maybe it was failing before you installed the new card and not because of it. Do you have access to another power supply to test with?

Just a word of warning - do not attempt to repair your PSU unless you are a qualified technician. The capacitors in there can kill. Dead.

I have this exact same problem. Does it have anything to do with the graphics card? Mine is Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller with an Intel Pentium 4 Processer CPU 2.66 GHz and 766 MB of Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back