Computer shutting down after 1 second of powering on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

Today I built 2 computers using AMD Athlon XP 2700 CPUs and I had them all set up. Well, when I turned both of them on they each powered on for about 1 second and then shut down.

I wracked my brain, I unhooked everything and tested, I even laid the motherboard out on a static-free bag to try and test it.

Well, it turned out I had put both heatsinks on backwards...

So kids, don't do what I did :D (Both work fine now) It was a waste of 2 hours...

I don`t know if this was your first time building, but we all make mistakes from time to time.

At least there`s no permanent damage done.

I guess you wont ever make that particular mistake again lol

Regards Howard :) :)

sounds like something might be shorting, i had the same problem - carefully take the heatsink offa the CPU and take the CPU out CAREFULLY and check dor any bent pins. i dont know but it really sounds like something is shorting

Shadowrunner said:
sounds like something might be shorting, i had the same problem - carefully take the heatsink offa the CPU and take the CPU out CAREFULLY and check dor any bent pins. i dont know but it really sounds like something is shorting
oh so you already fixed it.. Heatsink on backwards? thats insane :dead: :dead: :dead:

I have a better one. When i built the comp im using (first build ever) I got this Aero heatsink and it came with this little metal pad that said cooler master on it. I asked the guy at the store if that little pad went on the CPU and he said yes so when i started buildin i put the lil pad on the CPU and the heatsink already had thermal paste on it so i set it ontop of the pad. My comp would shut down when i tried installing windows and the BIOS said the CPU was really hot (dont remember how hot) well i ended up finally finding out that the lil pad was a CASE STICKER! no more askin the ppl at the store.
Just thought i would share

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back