Computer shutting down while playing DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjohnson

Ok well when I go and try to play a DVD it goes to a blue screen and tells me why my computer needs to shut down. It does not do this except when trying to play a DVD.

Things I have done to fix it are the following

I thought at first it was my ram so I bought some new sticks. Still didn't solve the problem.

I have tried two different codecs and they both have not fixed the problem.

I just did a re format a week ago and that still did not fix my problem.

I have a feeling it might be something to do with drivers but I am not sure. I have the latest drivers for my Nvidia card (not the beta drivers for Crysis).

It does not happen while gaming or while doing anything else, just when I try to play a DVD. I am attaching my minddumps in hopes somebody can tell me what the heck they say.

P.S. The DVD gets to the beginning of the commercials and then just shuts down. It is not in the middle or anything its right at the beginning.

Attachments

• Mini110807-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
Well I am using the medi player classic to play the DVDs. And the DVD player I had before this one did the same thing.

ok, does it mention a file in the blue screen?

What is the STOP number?

And what is the error? i.e. DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LOWERTHAN_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA etc...

According to my looking at crashdumps, it is caused by aswMon2.sys which is part of AVAST AntiVirus

It is the file-system driver for scanning files before you access them. Try disabling AVAST (or even uninstalling) to see if it is the problem.

Ok its knida hard to see the stop numbers cuse I had to take a picture of the screen. It pretty much immediately shut down after seeing the screen for 2 seconds. But I will try to get them right. :D

0x00000004 (0x00000005.0x00000002.0x00000001.0xBD4E7B23)

HMMM. Well I do have avast. So I will disable it and see if that works. What is weird though is I had avast before and it worked then.

Wouldn't surprise me. I had a similar problem with PC-Cillin a few years ago, and even McAfee these days drives me mad with removable disks!

Thank you so much wii-ste!! I stoped avast and the DVD played like normal. I guess I will just have to stop the "On-Access Protection" every time I want to play a DVD. Again thank you very much for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back