Computer Shutting Off - At Wits End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently rebuilt my computer. Most everything in this system is brand new.

Here's my build:

- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- 4gb DDR2 RAM
- RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 700W Power Supply
- GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz Processor
- Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Can't remember what my vid card is off the top of my head, but it's a Sapphire Radeon, and an old model which worked perfectly with my old build. It's the only thing I haven't replaced.

The problem is that my computer will start up, most of the time it will even POST. It's managed (once) to get all the way to formating the hard drive to install my operating system (Brand new hard drive, so it's got nothing on it) but it dies. Sometimes it'll turn on for a second and die. Everything seems to be connected properly, everything seems to be turning on. All fans are running. It seemingly random when it decides to stay on and when it doesn't. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be at this point =/ I even replaced a brand new 500w PSU thinking that was the problem. I installed the 700w and it still gave me the same problems.

sounds like the psu or overheating.

check your psu with a tester tool under load and use a multimeter too.

I have about 5 fans running in the computer and it stays at safe temperatures. The PSU is brand new and has been tested, it runs perfectly. I don't think overheating would be a problem even without the fans, as it turns off sometimes within one second of being turned on.

Are you using the standard Intel CPU cooler?
Are all of the pegs and the CPU cooler firm or loose? If they're loose, the heatsink isn't attached properly and it will be overheating.

Have you put the brass standoffs for the motherboard only where there are holes in the motherboard for screws? If you've put too many standoffs in then the motherboard may be shorting out. You should remove these ASAP before you do more damage.

Hmm weird problem to say the least. My first guess would be the motherboard though. Either that or something is not connected correctly.

Spyder_1386 :)

Pull the motherboard from the case. Hook everthing up outside of the case and see if the issue goes away. It sounds like a shorted bus line on the motherboard to the case. I have seen many motherboards do this. It is probably that simple. The process is to take a magazine or piece of cardboard on the case edge. lay the MOBO on this and run it outside the case. This will answer several questions. 1 it has a somewhere a short to a case stand off and 2 with just the CPU fan are you getting air to the system. I dont think it is system related other than a crap case setup. If it proves to be a case issue it will probably be close to the slot end of the MOBO. The computer I am on now has a squirrly setup concerning the video card. All because the case is junk. I deal with it by pulling and resetting the video card. It will not boot becaus ethe card is barely crooked in the slot. KIS keep it simple will fix many trouble issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back