Computer shutting off within a second of being turned on

scottyjx

Hi guys. While playing a video game (VVVVVV) on my desktop last night, it just up and shut off. No warning or anything. I immediately pressed the power button, and the fan spun for half a second before shutting off again. My motherboard has lights on it when plugged in, and those are all on. I took everything apart and painstakingly cleaned it, hoping maybe my computer just needed a dusting. I put everything back together; no dice. I've done nothing to my desktop of late. I have no idea why this happened. I checked around on some other forums, but their situations all sounded a bit different from mine.

Window 7, 64 bit
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Intel i5, 2.66 gigahertz quadcore
4gb DDR3 RAM
ASRock motherboard (sorry, I don't remember offhand the exact model)
750 GB Seagate hard drive

Tell us the make and model of your power supply. Did this come with the case and if so what is the brand name? How old is this system?

The power supply is a XION Power Real 1000W ATX, bought seperately from the case. I bought it in February of 2011. Motherboard (ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX), CPU, and RAM were all also bought in February of 2010. Hard drive was bought May 2010. The graphics card was bought in November of 2007.

I'm at college right now, but next time I go home, I have my old power supply lying around somewhere, so I could try switching it out. I don't remember offhand how much power it supplies though. But I don't know anybody who has a motherboard that uses DDR3 or Intel i5, so switching out those parts to check anything is near impossible for me.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way. It's greatly appreciated.

Switching out power supplies is a solid diagnostic step. If you or someone else has a digital multimeter you could test that psu. I spent $22 on a Sears Craftsman model and I love it. I have used it more over these past 2+ years than I imagined I would.

Radio Shack also has some very nice ones. Whatever you do make sure it is digital. Also, they are not hard to learn on how to use them.

If I can do it anybody can! :grinthumb

Welp. Not the power supply. I switched mine out with another, and it still does the exact same thing. Best next step?

Welp: Part 2. I had my previous hard drive sitting around, it still had XP and all my old junk on it. I plugged it in, and unplugged my other hard drive. Turned on the computer, and it stayed on, and started making a sizzling sound and now my room smells like burnt plastic. I'm sure this is the worst case scenario and everything is ruined. I, of course, immediately shut it down, but I'd guess the damage is done. Any suggestions.

I took everything out. I can't pinpoint what was burning up. I don't see any obvious marks. Perhaps you know from experience what happened. Anyway, I appreciate any and all suggestions, as always.

Okay, reinstall cpu, one stick of RAM, and psu cord to the motherboard only. Now boot up. What are the results? Does it stay on with no smell?

If so, then shut down install one additional piece of hardware and boot-up. If is remains on and is stable repeat until you can find the culprit.

I did as you said, with the cpu, RAM stick, and PSU, and it stayed on with no popping and no new smell, though my case still smells burnt. I'll start adding pieces and see what happens.

I don't know why this happened the way it did. I added everything one by one. RAM. No fail. GPU. No fail. Old hard drive. No fail. Current hard drive. No fail. Could it be that one of my USBs or the monitor did this? That's the only thing I have yet to plug in. I'll get back to you.

I don't know what to tell you. I turned on with everything connected, and I had to choose what to boot from, but other than that, my computer is running fine right now. I'm flabbergasted. Giant wild goose chase it would seem. Regardless, thank you very much for your help Route44. I appreciate it.

Nope, not a wild goose chase. You did right and good work. It has happened to me. I built a new system one time, hooked up everything correctly but it would not turn on. Long story short I had to do what I instructed you to do and lo and behold it worked.

Why? I haven't a clue and it has been working fine without a problem for these past 5 years. :)

Back