Computer skips (problem still exists)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULOST

Well i posted in the malware/spyware forum followed all the steps of getting rid of the nasty things that were on my computer(even deleted all 200+ songs on my computer and a few programs also). I shortly found out that even after all of that the problem still exists.

Basically every couple of seconds my computer skips. I checked my processes and performance threw (crtl+alt+del) every time my computer skips it spikes a great deal using more than 80 percent of my memory then goes down back to normal(which is 2 percent with Firefox)

Ive found another post on a forum with some one having the same similar problem http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic56117.html
I have windows XP SP2 just like the person that posted that forum, although my computer is not running slow its running rather fast now after all the malware removal. My music and sound is distorted when the computer skips also.

This problem has been on and off for a couple of months, now it just seems to stay. I use to be able to get rid of the problem with a system restore. Unfortunately due to other recent problems on my computer I was unable to perform system restores. In a result to this i turned my restore off then back on( i was instructed to during the malware/spyware removal) now my restore point is on a date where the problem still existed.

Im sorry im not the best when it comes to computers and please excuse me if this is a easy fix. I just really want my computer to perform normal again.

Does this happen when you are connected to the internet, or does this make no difference?
Do you have power surge protection?

My guess is that your computer's virtual memory is low. You may have alot of ram but your system may have software that is hogging resources.

When was the last time you rebooted?

How many icons are showing up down by your clock on the lower right side of the desktop? More than 2-3? It is possible you need to reconfigure your startup programs.

Click start then run then type the following command: msconfig

After typing msconfig, click ok. When the configuration window is opened, locate and click on the tab call startup. While this window is open, surf to http://sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Leave the webpage open and then while looking at the config window under that startup tab, notice there are checkmarks next to items listed. Each item listed is a program that is running all the time. Some programs may be turned off and others not. Enter the item's name into the search function of sysinfo's webpage then click search. Read the info given about it then decide to remove or keep the checkmark for that item.

Note that turning off an item does not prevent it from ever running again...it merely prevents it from running all the time. Removing the wrong checkmark may also prevent your system from protecting itself or possibly booting. Be careful what you disable.

After you have gone all the way through the startup list, click on Apply then OK then reboot your system.

Try this and let me know.

The problem happens all the time on the internet or not. Im working on disabling some of the processes I will let you know the outcome shortly

The problem still continues after turning off some of the start up items.

Would there be any other information that maybe needed to help diagnose what the problem is?

ULOST said:
I use to be able to get rid of the problem with a system restore.
This means you, or someone, installed a program,or changed a setting after the restore.

I know that sounds obvious,but try and think really hard about the things you did after a restore.

Please note : You can quite happily disable everything in msconfig start up for

troubleshooting purposes.Just don`t go on the Internet without a firewall running.

Also,disable the Indexing Service - Start/Run/type :services.msc

That service is useless and can kick in almost at random.

It still sounds like you have some spyware,somewhere,though.

Instead of using hijackthis, I'd rather see you use spybot. If you use spybot, go to the advanced settings then click the tools tab and open the activex and bho's. These 2 tools will tell you if any of your activex and bho's are legitimate and will also let you remove them.

I honestly cant think of what was installed before the restore but for some reason I also think its still spyware or a virus still on my computer somewhere. It didnt allow me to do a system restore thats why i had to turn them off and then back on. The only thing i can remember that was installed on my computer at the time that it recently happened was that stupid "Windows installer" gray box keep coming up. I wasnt for sure what it was installing then thats when i tried to do a system restore and it wouldnt let me.

Ive also disabled everything that was not needed in my start up. Im not to big of a fan of disabling to many of the rest that i left on because they seemed to be necessary programs and devices.

As far as hijackthis, ive ran that multiple times also with an extensive list of programs such as Combofix, Smithfruad, Hijackthis, Spybot S&D, Avg 7.5, Avg Spyware, Avg anti-root and Adaware(which really messed my computer up for awhile).Oh and they all came up with random things such as tracking cookies from sites that I checked "remember me on this computer". They were from sites such as ebay, hotmail etc. Really no major threats.

Ill post a log so you can look at whats running on my computer

That log looks OK to me.
Have a look in the event viewer at the system log to see if there is an event that matches the time of your blip. Control Panel > Admin Tasks > Event Viewer > System - look for any event marked with red or yellow blob. Find one, copy it using the copy button on the right and paste into a notepad text file before attaching it to your reply.

Boot to your windows cd and use the recovery console.

Note To start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, you must configure the basic input/output system (BIOS) of the computer to start from your CD-ROM drive.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation. I suggest using chkdsk /r

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If all else fails and it still skips, I'd opt for another hard drive. But before buying a new one, perhaps you or one of your friends has an old hard drive laying around collecting dust that you could use as a temp to see if it has a problem. It sounds like the hard drive has a glitch on it. Unplug the hard drive and remove it then temporarily install a different hard drive and see if it skips too. You may have to install the operating system again. I've got several old hard drives laying around with win98se on them and I use them for problems such as these. Your system may not like using win98se but it works just enough for me to figure the problem is the hard drive.

Well rickk1 i would have did a complete reinstall of my windows OS but we moved around last year sometime and we completely lost all of our software that we had so i dont even have a copy of the windows OS.

And Albert im going to try your method give me a little while ill post it up for you.

http://eventid.net/

Actually, you can use the event viewer to your advantage moreso by getting the eventid and the source and then surfing to the above site whilst entering the info and it will tell you the details of what you've found.

By the way, what brand of computer do you have? Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, etc.? If you have a Dell or a Gateway and you know of someone else that has that same brand as you do, their xp cd will work on your system but you'll have to use only those key codes that were assigned to your system to activate it. Let it be known too that Dell has a unique feature built-in to the xp cd and when you format a hard drive that is installed in a Dell system, the cd licensing will automatically enter your key codes and activate it too.

If you use a Dell cd on another computer such as a Compaq, HP, Gateway, etc., the xp operating system software will load but the key code will not work although your key code may be imprinted on the side of your cpu or you found it by using belarc advisor or magic jelly bean. Been there....done that! Another way to get a copy of xp or possibly vista is by finding a college student in your family or area that you know and have him check the on-campus bookstore. I personally know of several bookstores on campuses that sells full versions of xp for $10 and the new key codes are included with them.

If you think there are some services that may be causing your problems, be careful what you turn off and/or disable.

Start/Run/type "services.msc" without the quotes then click ok.

I then suggest that you surf to http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm and use this site to determine what services you may turn off and/or disable.

Well me and my dad built this computer about a year or so ago hes the big Computer Engineer so he basically knew what to do i was clueless lol hes out of town right now(been for about a month) for business trip if he wasnt i would have had him help me.

OK and i have something else to ask When you look at the task manager and go to "Performance" it has two boxes that show "CPU usage" and "PF usage". The CPU usage is my processor am i correct? if so I think it could be my processor because its actually not using memory its my processor It keeps spiking up like its overloaded(i guess you would say) with alot of stuff up to 90% the last time it skipped. On my logitech speakers i have something that also monitors and shows me the CPU and the Memory. The memory is constant but the CPU is what keeps going up and down.

Could I have a bad processor? If that would be true then why would it stop when i would do a system restore? Those are just questions i asked myself.

It is common for the cpu usage to go up and down. If it remained constant and never changed, then there may be a problem.

Ask any of your friends that have the same operating system as you and ask them if you can borrow it so you can perform a windows repair or the recovery console.

Your power supply may be compatible but your computer has other hardware that needs wattage as well and your power supply is not giving enough wattage to support the other hardware.

Most new computers come with a minimum of 300watts and this is minimal at best. Recently, I ran across a topic concerning power supplies on TigerDirect.com and it makes sense. Here is what they said:

If you've added a lot of new components to your PC, you may be overtaxing your existing power supply, so look at getting a bigger, better one. Power supplies can cause problems--including random crashes or even component failure--if they are asked to produce more power than they are designed to generate.

Although many PC cases are sold with a pre-installed power supply, check it carefully---your power requirements may exceed the capacity of the pre-installed unit. How do you know? Here's a quick guide:
Motherboard
15-30

Low-End CPU
20-50

Mid To High-End CPU
40-100

RAM
7 per 128MB

PCI Add-In Card

Low To Mid-Range Graphics
20-60

High-End Graphics
60-100

IDE Hard Drive
10-30

Optical Drives
10-25

Do the math. You may need to purchase a higher-output power supply for your new PC.

Even while im doing nothing at all on my computer my CPU should still go up?

I just realized that my dad has one or two copies of XP laying around somewhere from when he purchased his laptops.

My power supply could also be the problem maybe im not for sure ill read up on it a little more in detail.

I am going to give this another week and if i dont figure it out then i may just decide to try and rebuild or purchase another one i really didnt want to do that because i like my computer so much but things come and go so ill just deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back