Computer slow to load programs

By maddog41
May 25, 2003
  1. i just upgraded to a AMD XP Barton 2500+ processor and i have 512mb DDR ram.
    bios is flashed and all drivers are updated but i'm having problems running programs. they'll get really slow or they will take about 20 seconds to load. now when i'm running a program, while it's going slow i'll check how much CPU usuage/ memory usage is and it's nowhere near 100%.

i'm currently on win2000. should i upgrade to fix the problem?

running games can also be slow at times as well but i just upgraded to a Geforce FX 5200. shouldnt be a problem
  2. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 592

make sure you don't have alot of services enabled..............get all the tweaks and cleaners.................too many to list..........system enema required
  3. JSR

by the way

flashing the bios will just get you a bunch of default settings that may not coincide with your dram/agp well as a number of other issues as well...........
  4. maddog41

maddog41 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i'd have to go into administrator to check services, correct?
  5. JSR

step by step

there are several tutorials @ several tweak sites relating to your os..........these help preserve memory and assist you in whatever bottlenecks you may be experiencing....also, diskeeper lite..........spybot and adaware for good measure.........check that bios......other system related optimizations...and on and on, to keep your machine running like a scalded dog
  6. maddog41

alright. i'll fiddle around with it and see how it works when i'm done.

preciate your help
  7. maddog41

what's a good AGP Aperture Size to set in BIOS?

i have a 128mb graphics card. AGP 8x
  8. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Half of your system memory should do, which in this case should be 256mb but some BIOSes only offer 128 as maximum.

I don't think you'll have a big performance change by using 128 rather then 256.

I have 256mb enabled in my BIOS & most applications actually see it as 64mb.:dead:
  9. JSR

it's 2x if it's ddr

so 128 of ddr is.............256
  10. JSR

think i found your problem on tweakout due to the memory allocated by the video adapter driver becoming's called fix AMD athlon agp paging issue(windows 2000)..there is a registry fix......regarding computers not responding
  11. maddog41

sweet. i'm trying to play unreal 2 at a high resolution and it's suffering. 1024*768 makes me want to barf

where exactly do i do this in registry
    Create a new DWORD value called "LargePageMinimum" and set it to "ffffffff".

dont want to mess something up
  12. JSR

don't have 2000.....but, check to see if there is someone who is comfortable working in the registry..........find out where the page file info is.........and its pretty easy to right clicking...........modifying.........w@ new DWORD..........easier said than done
  13. JSR

by the way

what's your motherboard? mention you upgraded...............want to see if there are any compatability issues
  14. maddog41

SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra
    512MB DDR PC3200
    GeForce FX 5200

still having problems with it acting funny doesnt list the current memory i have in their support this. it's crucial memory and says it'll work on my board. i did a benchmark and is showing it lower than what it should be running at
  15. maddog41

i have Sandra if you want me to take any screen shots of benchmarks or any other information
  16. JSR

no need

but your a 333 fsb processorand so is your board........even though they call it a kt-400, it only really relates to the memory, of which you have, ddr make sure the timings are in sync.....incl your memory......and, that your agp settings are done correctly.......ddr is a 2x thing, so think double about your cards xisting onboard ddr for apeture size........sandra will make recommendations at the bottom of the tests on your adapter and cpu, giving tips that you double click on to expose their meaning..............after that clean house with robovac.........defragment with diskeeper lite(otherwise it takes forever)........clear out what's running on start up............especially offices' find fast etc. and get them out of the boot process............i would recommend xp w/out all the services a rock solid os..........AND overclock that processor............just a quick timing change in the bios could get you a 2800+ in a heartbeat.........your memory is up to the task..........and monitor your cooling afterwards.........and voila'.............a rocket ship
  17. maddog41

Re: no need

i hope to god that really helps

thanks for your help. i've learned a lot
  18. djforeman

djforeman TS Rookie

need clarification on AGP aperture size

After reading the previous posts, I'm confused. If I have 512 MB of DDR RAM and an 8x AGP graphics card with 128 MB of memory of its own, how big should my aperture be? And is the computation measured against my SYSTEM RAM or my Graphics RAM?
  19. beato

beato TS Rookie

I have a similar problem.

Pentium D 945 3.4ghz
    1gb DDR2 Ram
    Geforce 7900GTX 512mb

Games are great I can play almost every game i own on maximum settings however... multimedia programs such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash...etc. take ages to load and when they are loaded are generally quite sluggish.

Another problem will occur when playing games the game will minimize and i will be taken back to desktop (I didn't accidentally hit the windows key either lol)

Any recommendations?
  20. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

21. beato

beato TS Rookie

Thanks for those links. I'm fairly confident that the problem isn't anything to do with spyware or system processes my computer has very little installed on it as i only built it recently. I have ran checks for unwanted files with Spybot, Bullguard AV and have been through the system processes in msconfig thoroughly.
    However I'm not so tech savvy when it comes to hardware so here's a reading from Everest looks ok right?

Motherboard 26 °C (79 °F)
    CPU 39 °C (102 °F)
    Aux 45 °C (113 °F)
    GPU 33 °C (91 °F)
    Seagate ST380020A 24 °C (75 °F)
    WDC WD2500BB-00GUA0 25 °C (77 °F)

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.01 V
    Aux 2.40 V
    +3.3 V 3.39 V
    +5 V 5.70 V
    +12 V 13.07 V
    -12 V 3.27 V
    -5 V 4.10 V
    +5 V Standby 4.99 V
    VBAT Battery 0.88 V
    Debug Info F FF 3D FF
    Debug Info T 26 39 45
    Debug Info V 96 96 D4 D4 D7 DD EB (03)
  22. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

have you tried the defraging your hdd?

photoshop takes a while to load up for me as well, so i don't think it should be a worry for you, since it needs to load all these modules and stuff. Should load in about 15-20 seconds. If not, have you installed any plugins or too many fonts recently?

Temps look fine, and so too the voltages. But the +12V is way too high to be correct. Go into BIOS hardware monitor and check the values against it, or if you know how to use a multimeter measure the 12v manually. The voltages should be within a 5% +/- variance to what its supposed to be.
  23. beato

beato TS Rookie

Not installed any plug-ins yet and no new fonts yet either. Degfragged HD, nothing changed, and checked my bios for temps. You were right about the read from everest being a bit too high. The bios read for the cpu was around 12.5.

I think it's sorted now... a guy at uni suggested turning down the hardware acceleration in the display properties and it seems to have worked . Photoshop now loads in around 5 seconds lol big improvement
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.