Computer sometimes does and sometimes doesnt detect things.. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith22

Alright so heres my problem. I have a next to brand new (less than 2 weeks old) gaming rig i just built, my very first one. Specs are as follows,

EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS(x1) Video Card
Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHZ Processor
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHZ (4GB) RAM
OCZ GameXstreme 700Watt Power Supply
Seagate 500GB SATA Hard Drive
ASUS DVD-ROM & ASUS DVD-RW Optical Drives
Diamondback Razer 1600DPI Mouse

Okay, now as far as i can tell, everything is working fine, BUT, sometimes when i turn the computer on, the mouse will light up and everything so obviously its getting power and what not and being recognized, but when i hit the welcome screen, it turns off and i have to unplug it then plug it back in and it works 100% perfect untill restart. Also, sometimes when I turn the computer on, it will NOT recognize the DVD-ROM. It will not show in post or in my computer, but it has power and the tray opens and everything. Anyone that knows about the 680i nForce board might say i need to update my bios which is what i was thinking, but im kinda trying to wait for the p31 update because p30 apparently sucks, and p29 is decent from what ive heard. Does anyone know what my problem is or even how i check to see my bios version? In EVEREST Ultimate Edition it says my bios version is

BIOS Type Award
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

which makes no sense to me because they are recognized as (pxx) not v6.00? Anyways, maybe you guys can give me some suggestions as to where i can go. Thanks alot!

Do you have all the power supply plugs plugged into the proper places like video cards, CD's and hard drives? Your power supply may be faulty. I would sub it first

Yes everything is plugged in correctly... i really hope its not a faulty PSU! Hmm..anyone else have ideas?

I think PSU - there is enough wattage there but maybe its a bit iffy?
I have also known bad optical drives do strange things to the system - try booting without the DVD drive connected. Another trick is to swap the master/slave settings on the two optical drives.

Why do you question our advice to help you? You came to us, we did not come to you. I knew this was not a bios issue. It is a hardware or driver issue

No no no, i REALLY didnt mean for it to come off like that, im not questioning your advice at all, or atleast i didnt mean for it to sound like that! I was just wondering what that would do and such because it was un-clear to me. Im sorry about that! My appologies.

Computer sometimes does and sometimes doesn't detect things.. help!

Power supply, software conflicts or lastly motherboard... and putting "Help!" in your thread title actually causes some of us not to respond at all

I appreciate you guys helping me out and okay, ill keep that thing about "help" in mind. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back