Computer sometimes does not start and/or it shuts down on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm new to the board and am an intermediate techie.

My computer and OS is as follows:
ASUSTeK A7S333 motherboard (bus clock set at 133MHz)
AMD Athlon XP 1.53 GHz (based on BelArc Advisor; I am not completely sure which processor it is; I installed it a while back)
512MB DDR SDRAM memory (PC2100 DDR266)
ATI Rage 128 Pro Video card
NEC DVD RW ND-3520A
Win XP Pro SP2
RaidMax Scorpio case with 450W power supply and 5 fans

Questions:
1) Basically, when the computer has been turned off for awhile, it does boot up fine. But, when I have to restart the machine instead of restarting, it shuts down after XP completes its shutdown process. From that point, I cannot get it to turn completely back on. When I would push on the power button, the computer lights goes on but the PC doesn't power up. I can hear the fans and the drives trying to power up; no beeping sounds and the monitor doesn't even show anything. So, basically I just leave it completely off for at least half hour before I turn it back on.

I have seen it where when it powers up, it goes to the CMOS setup and prompts me to set the CPU speed. This happened when the motherboard was setup with the JumperFree mode enabled. When I disabled it and manually set the CPU and DRAM speed, then it doesn't prompt me anymore at boot up; it goes directly to XP when it actually boots up. Currently, I have the jumper set at 133/133 (CPU/DRAM). While writing this post, I discovered that I should have it at 133/166. I will try that and see if it helps.

2) Should a 450W power supply be sufficient for my setup above, with 2 hard drives, the DVD-RW, a CD-ROM, and 5 cooling fans? When I hook everything up, the computer doesn't seem to power up at all. It seems to power-up fine with the CD-ROM disconnected (when it does power up).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Additional notes:
I played with the different settings for the CPU and DRAM speed, but it seems that only the 100/100 and 133/100 seems to get the computer to even boot up. But with either setting, the computer still shuts down when I restart the machine -- and it doesn't completely boot up again after at least a half hour wait.

Thoughts? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back