TechSpot

Computer Start Problem

By Vista dx10
May 31, 2007
  1. Hello all, Please could someone help me i have just built a new computer (first and last time) and when i switch on it runs fine for anytime between 1-5 min and then shuts down i have updated the bios but it sill will not keep running the specs are

Asus P5N32-SLi
    Duo E6700 2.66
    8800 GTS 640mb
    OCZ 850w Psu
    2GB PC6400 Hyperx Kingston
    Antec 900 case

Would be very greatful for any help

Thanks

2. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

Did you apply themal paste? could be shutting down from the CPU overheating. Don't get disgusted with building! There are PLENTY of people here that can and are more than willing to help you! :D

btw...Welcome to Techspot!

3. Vista dx10

Vista dx10 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the welcome halo71 i did use thermal paste formula 5 the onboard temp reading is stable at around 45oC

4. halo71

So the fan on the heatsink spins?

5. Vista dx10

Yes mate it does spin, one thing i have noticed is when the power button is switched on the PSU LED lights up but dims a second later could it be a faulty PSU?

6. halo71

That was going to be my next guess. You made sure everything is properly connected?

7. Vista dx10

Yes all connected

8. halo71

Well as far as testing your PSU you may want to wait and see what others here may say. Do you by chance have another PSU laying around that you could replace with to test?

9. Vista dx10

Not one powerful enough

10. halo71

humm, well wait and se what other advice is offered. Not sure at this point.

11. Vista dx10

Thanks for the help halo71 much appreciate

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.