Computer start problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've got a problem that i hope someone can help me with. My computer was working fine yesterday but today I've got some problems starting up.

I haven't actually done anything to the computer (aside from physically move it to another room, carefully). So no cables were touched or any drives or anything like that.

When I turn the power on, the fans and lights on the motherboard come on, but nothing else does. The drive lights don't come on, the cd drive doesnt open, no drive checks or beeps are done. The hdd light does not turn on either.

I first thought it might be a power problem, so I changed the outlets in the room, and I've even taken another power source from another case. But still the same problem.

I vaguely know what happens while a computer boots up, so going by what I know, I believe it's a CPU problem maybe? Because the power is fine, but the computer just doesnt want to start checking the drives or any of that.

Anyway, I've since checked all connections, and they are all fine, which makes me think there's some damage somewhere. Is that agreed? And if so, can anyone help me determine what would need replacing? I'm hoping just a motherboard would be sufficient as they're fairly cheap compared to CPUs.

Any comments greatly appreciated

I would make sure all cards are seated properly in their slots(mainly the vid card). Maybe even reset the BIOS.

I have the *same* problem. I believe my vid card has a problem (hopefully, or else my mobo's on it's way out:( ). I get the beep code (I checked online) that means that a vid card can't be detected. I also recently put in a new PSU (my old one was trash) and for some reason I don't get beep codes anymore. Is there any way to test if there's a problem, other than putting the vid card into a different comp or buying another card to test.

edit: My comp does check the HDD when it starts, but the light doesn't come on. Any help with getting the lights working?

to Jaug: I think your CPU might have become un-seated

to me(who else): would you have a fan on your vidcard that is no longer connected? It would overheat immediately and shut down.

what do u mean a fan or vid card that is not connected...there is 1 vid card (plugged in), the fan on the PSU and the CPU fan and they're all plugged in. Both fans are spinning.

edit: I missread your post, there aren't any fans on my vid card.

To get your HD control-light working, connect the small HD-LED cable from your PC's frontpanel to the connector on your mobo. Look in your mobo-manual for the proper location. Turn mobo-connector-end of cable 180 degrees if at first it does not work.

Just had the same problem

I had to open the case and press on some of the cards and rehook it up and it started. Some times when you move it for some reason thing just happen. Good luck

I would just suggest to make sure that all your main cards, and drives are seated properly, and your fans are running at the correct speed, not under the thresh hold or anything... other to that you could probably use a mate's computer to check individual parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back