Computer starting to lag... Possible virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_eric

I've noticed a decreased speed of my computer over the last month and have just completed a virus scan with Avast home edition plus a spyware check with AVG-Anti Spyware and no major threats were reported but my computer still feels a little laggy i'm running on Windows XP and have attach my HJT log hope some one can help me out...

It appears that you might be infected with a worm that is spread through chat programs. Please don't use chat programs until your computer is clean to prevent it from spreading.

Additionally, it is not recommended to have more than one active Anti-virus program running at a time. You have Avast and AVG.

You also have an incorrect version of Hijackthis. The most current version is v2.0.02 which can be found in the preliminary removal instructions found HERE

Please uninstall this version of Hijackthis, then download it through the link in the removal instructions.

After completing the instructions post the 3 requested logs here.

If you get stuck post your questions here, don't keep going.

This thread is for the use of big_eric only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

-Okay I have stopped using chat sites

-I use avast anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware not AVG anti-Virus is this still an issue?

-I updated my HJT and have attached my current log

Thanks Eric.

My fault. I read it as Anti virus.

Can you please proceed through the 15 steps as there are some important anti-malware programs that need to be run.

Then post all 3 logs Combofix, HJT, and AVG

Hijackthis doesn't show everything.

This thread is for the use of big_eric only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

So I followed all of the instructions in the link that you gave me and have attached my HJT log and Combofix log when i ran the avg-anti spyware it only turned up with minor trackers and didn't leave me a log... the panda rootkit came up clean as well as the three virus scan tools

hi you might want to look into the following file:
AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dllAppInit_DLLs Registry value autorun

This file loads a .dll into the memory when a user logs in. It is frequently used by very bad hijackers.
DON'T delete it without clearance from an expert! It may be used by a non malicious program.

that is an AVG entry

The one that concerned me is
MsnMsgr (sometimes associated with http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/w32annewfam.html)

msnmsgr is the messenger utility -> Available via Start -> Programs. Go to MS Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

That way it's only running when you tell it to not every time you start your computer.

You can safely run Hijackthis and Do a System Scan only, put a check mark next to the following entries and select Fix checked.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab56907.cab
O16 - DPF: {F5A7706B-B9C0-4C89-A715-7A0C6B05DD48} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab56986.cab

Now open spybot S&D. Go to Mode and select advanced. then expand tools in the left pane, then double click system startup uncheck items that don't need to be started everytime you turn on your computer. If you don't know what something is you can post here or google for it. Don't uncheck anything in green. I would suggest stopping the following from running at boot to see if it improves performance.

uncheck:
Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"

Then exit spybot and reboot

Tap F8 before windows loads to enter safe mode and run AVG anti spyware one more time, please post the new AVG results in your next reply.

I think its fixed... AVG didn't come up with anything new and my computer seems to be responding better... thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back